- Doctors at Fortis Hospital have reconstructed the tongue of a patient in order to cure oral cancer.
- Though post surgery, his speech has improved yet his newly constructed tongue is devoid of taste buds.
- After he was diagnosed with cancer, he was reluctant to have a surgery done as he feared facial deformity.
- Doctors at Fortis Hospital then assured him to keep his face intact even after the surgery.
- So, to remove the cancer, his entire tongue and the floor of the mouth including the upper half of the whole jaw bone was removed, only preserving the lower contour of it through the process of marginal mandibulectomy.
- A new tongue and floor of the mouth was reconstructed with the skin and flesh of his thighs.
- The tumour has been completely removed and the patient is currently under radiotherapy.
Source: New Indian Express