Brain tumor surgery is the primary treatment for brain tumors removal without any severe damage. Most of the benign or non-cancerous tumors are treated by surgery. If the tumour is malignant, some additional treatment may be required, such as radiation therapy or chemotherapy. Some of the prime goals of the surgery are:
- To confirm the diagnosis by obtaining tissue from the tumor.
- Trying to remove most of the tumor.
- To relieve the symptoms and improve the quality of life by reducing the intracranial pressure, that might be caused by the tumor.
- To facilitate access for internal chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- To facilitate access for intra-surgical treatment such as hyper therapy or laser surgery.
Brain Tumor Surgery at Apollo hospital, Chennai
Apollo Hospital Chennai comes at the forefront when it comes to the Apollo Group of Hospitals across the nation. The hospital was established in 1983 and it has nearly 60 departments headed by internationally trained doctors and equipped with world-class infrastructure. Apollo Chennai is also the first hospital in South India, where a fully functional advanced center for movement disorders was launched.
Neurosurgeons at Apollo Hospital, Chennai
Dr MV Sivakumar
- More than 33 years of experience
- Awarded with Donald M Palatucci Advocacy Leadership Award in 2013 and 2014.
- Holds expertise in brain surgery, headache treatment and brain mapping.
Dr Panner A
- More than 34 years of experience.
- Member of Neurological Society of India, Association of Physician of India, and Indian Medical Association.
- His specializations include temporal lobectomy, laminectomy, corpus callosotomy, vagus nerve stimulation, skull base surgery etc.
Dr Rajendra S
- Holds an experience of 32 years.
- His specializations include spinal tap, craniotomy, vascular surgery, neurophysiology, and many more.
- Member of the Royal College of physicians, India Academy of neurology and Indian Medical Association.
Dr Dhanaraj M
- Holds an experience of more than 35 years.
- Works as a senior consultant neurologist at the hospital.
- Received awards like Dr V Bala Gopala Raju Award, Best Research Paper Award, Dean’s Commendation Certificate, and Stanley Alumni Award - 2003.
- He is a member of renowned organisations such as neurologists society of India and the Indian Academy of neurosciences.
Cost of Brain tumor surgery at Apollo Hospital Chennai
The overall brain tumor surgery cost in India is much lesser as compared to that in other developed nations like the US. The procedure may cost you around 6500 USD to 7500 USD in the hospital. However, the exact cost is determined by factors like,
- The type of surgery
- Location of the tumor
- Size of the tumor
- Structures involved in the tumor
- The type of hospital
- The expertise of the doctor
- Diagnostic procedures involved
The patient is expected to stay in the hospital for 4 days and outside the hospital for at least 15 days. The most commonly done diagnostic tests are Neurological exam, MRI of the brain and CT scan of the brain.
Life after the brain tumour surgery
A significant amount of time is required for a patient to come back to his normal life after brain tumour surgery. The amount of time may vary depending upon the:
- The procedure used to remove the tumour
- Location of the tumour
- Structures surrounding the tumour
- Age and general well being of the patient
Immediately after the surgery, the patient is required to stay in the hospital for nearly a week. After he/she is discharged, the patient must follow the instructions about home care. In some cases, there might be swelling in the brain after the surgery. It is common to have the following signs and symptoms after the surgery:
- Weakness & dizziness
- Poor balance or lack of coordination
- Abnormalities in the speech
- Behavioural changes
In such cases, there is no reason to worry as these symptoms will go away on their own.
Why Chennai is a preferred place for brain tumour surgery in India?
The healthcare system in Chennai is run by both government and private hospital. It attracts about 45 per cent of the health tourists overseas and 30-40 per cent of the domestic patients. Chennai is known as the health capital of India as there are several Multi-speciality and super-speciality hospitals, which deal with nearly 150 patients each day. Some of the prime reasons for the superfluous inflow of the patients are:
- Low cost
- No waiting period
- Advanced facilities
What kind of provisions are available in Chennai for international patients?
The best cancer hospitals in Chennai have a special desk for international patients. The staff ensures a smooth experience of international patients in Chennai. One can easily approach the international desk for any of the following cases:
- Assistance in applying for medical visa
- Extension of the medical visa
- Special dietary preferences
- Language interpretation system for the patients such as French, Arabic etc.
- Followup services after going back home.
- Hospital stay as per the preferences