A liver transplant is a surgery done to replace the damaged liver with a healthy donor liver. It may be complete or partial. The liver is responsible for the filtration of blood and the removal of toxins from the body. This is the last option to consider when all other forms of treatment fail.
Why is a liver transplant done?
The most common reason for liver transplant is chronic liver disease. Another most common cause is cirrhosis. Cirrhosis may take place in the liver due to the following reasons :
- Chronic hepatitis B or C
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- Alcohol abuse
- Metabolic disorders
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Biliary atresia
- Metabolic disorders
The final decision to do a liver transplant is determined based on several factors such as,
- The complexity of the case
- Any associated medical condition
- Any history of tuberculosis
- History of any other chronic infections such as HIV
- The general well-being of the patient
To know about Liver Transplantation, click here.
Liver transplant in Medanta Hospital, Gurgaon
- Medanta hospital was established in 2009 by an eminent surgeon, Dr Naresh Trehan.
- It is accredited both by NABH, NABL.
- The liver transplant team at the hospital is the first of its kind offering all levels of treatment for liver and biliary diseases, other than the liver transplantation.
- The living donor system at the hospital is the largest in India and the second largest in the world.
- The team of doctors has a collective experience of performing about 2500 liver transplants so far with a success rate as high as 95%.
- Other than the liver transplant, Medanta hospital is also known for liver tumors, bile duct cancer, cysts and blocks and all complex non-transplant liver surgeries.
Cost of liver transplant in Medanta hospital, Gurgaon
The liver transplant cost in India usually ranges from 38,000 USD to 44,000 USD (2735240 INR to 3167120 INR). The hospital stay is usually 22 days and 40 days outside the hospital. The donor also has to stay for at least 3-4 days in the hospital.
The investigations required before the liver transplant are blood tests, chest x-ray, lung function test, ECG, echo, coronary angiography, kidney function test, ultrasound scan, MRI, CT scan, liver biopsy, and endoscopy.
Recommended: What is the cost of Liver transplant in India?
Factors affecting the final cost of treatment in India are:
- Immune-deficient patients
- Fees of the liver transplant surgeon
- Cost of investigations and medications
- Any associated medical illness
- The reputation of the hospital
- Cost of living
- Number of days in the hospital
Liver transplant surgeons in Medanta Hospital, Gurgaon
Dr Arvinder Singh Soin
- Chairman of the liver transplant department at the hospital.
- Has performed 2500 liver transplants with a 95% success rate.
- In a span of 21 years, Dr Soin has performed more than 12,000 other complex surgeries of liver, gallbladder, and bile duct surgeries.
- He leads India’s largest and the world's most successful liver transplant program at the hospital.
Dr Amit Nath Rastogi
- Senior consultant at the Medanta Hospital, Gurgaon.
- He has completed a two-year fellowship in liver transplant surgery at Shri Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi.
- He is also trained in robotic liver surgery and robotic advanced HPB.
Dr Prashant Vilas Bhangui
- Works as a senior consultant at the Medanta Hospital, Gurgaon
- Holds an experience of 15 years and specialized training in the management of colorectal liver diseases, hepatocellular carcinoma, liver transplants, and hepatobiliary surgeries.
Dr Narendra Singh Choudhary
- Senior consultant at liver transplantation department
- Holds an experience of 11 years.
- Specializes in liver transplant, endoscopic ultrasound, treatment for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and liver cirrhosis.
- Member of Indian National Association for the Study of the Liver and International Liver Transplant Society.
Special provision for International patients at Medanta Hospital
The hospital has specialized provisions for international patients coming to India for the treatment. Some of these include:
- Organize treatment packages
- Visa assistance
- Airport pickup and drop off
- Hotel reservations
- Sightseeing trips during the recovery period
- A dedicated buddy system to provide personalised help to all the patients.
- Hospital admissions
- Lounge facility for the patients and their families where they can also meet patients from other countries.