A surgery that involves replacing a diseased heart with a healthy donor heart is known as a heart transplant surgery. It is the final call of treatment when all other treatments fail. Usually, a heart transplant is recommended in the following conditions:
- Coronary artery disease
- Congenital heart defects
- Cardiomyopathy (weakening of the heart muscle)
- Heart valve disease
- Abnormal heart rate and rhythm
- Failure of any previous heart transplant
Sometimes the heart is transplanted in addition to some other vital organs such as kidney, lungs etc. These are known as multi-organ transplants and include:
- Heart-lung transplant
- Heart-kidney transplant
- Heart-liver transplant
Click here to know more about Heart Transplant
Life after a heart transplant
Once you come home after the heart transplant surgery, you need to restrict physical activities such as driving. The patients also have to visit the surgeon frequently after the surgery for follow ups. The doctor may send you for investigations such as blood tests, chest x-ray or even biopsy.
In case you notice any of the following signs and symptoms, you must consult your healthcare provider,
- Increase in the pain of incision site
- Difficulty in breathing
- Redness, swelling, or drainage from the incision site.
- Fever and chills.
- Increased fatigue
- Low blood pressure
Helpful: Procedure of Heart Transplant
Heart transplant Cost in Hyderabad
Fortunately, the heart transplant cost in India is much lesser as compared to that in other countries without any compromise in the infrastructure or technological advancement. The approximate cost of a heart transplant in cities like Hyderabad ranges from 55,000 USD to 65,000 USD (3935167 INR to 4650652 INR).
The patients usually need to stay in the hospital for 14 days and outside the hospital for 20 days. In addition to this, there may be a waiting period of 3 weeks to 3 months to get the matched donor for a heart transplant.
A pre-transplant work is also done including blood tests, EKG, Chest x-ray, cardiopulmonary stress, echocardiogram, MUGA SCAN, heart catheterization, and pulmonary functioning testing. This pre transplant workup may cost you around 5000 USD.
Top cardiac surgeons in Hyderabad
Dr. Meeraji Rao
- Experience - 25 years
- Has performed more than 7000 procedures so far.
- Specializes in Trans-radial Angiography & Angioplasty with special interest in Chronic Total Occlusions and device closures.
Dr. Abhishek Mohanty
- Experience - 15 years.
- Has expertise in coronary interventions, balloon mitral valvuloplasty, device closures, EVAR etc.
- He has also successfully implanted more than 50 pacemakers, implantable cardioverter defibrillators and CRT devices.
Dr. Sameer Dilwale
- Experience - 20 years
- Has performed more than 7000 heart surgeries so far.
- He routinely performs surgeries such as Atrial fibrillation, aortic surgeries, pulmonary resections, endoscopic radial and vein harvesting.
Dr. Anil Drnamraju
- Experience - 12 years
- Expertise includes beating heart surgeries, conventional CABG, valvular and congenital heart surgeries, and aortic surgeries.
- He is also a member of renowned organizations such as the European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery, and a life member of Indian Association of Cardiothoracic surgeons.
Dr. Pramod Kumar
- Experience - 17 years
- Expertise lies in coronary interventions such as complex lesions, saphenous vein graft interventions and primary angioplasties.
- Some other interests include Intra-vascular ultrasound, vascular closure devices, coronary brachytherapy, and drug eluting stents.
Click here to know about things to consider before heart transplant surgery
Top cardiac surgery hospitals in Hyderabad
Global Hospital, Hyderabad
- Established in 1998, it is accredited by NABH and HALAL.
- It is associated with Parkway Pantai Ltd. which is the region's largest integrated private healthcare groups with a network of 22 hospitals.
- The global hospital is a pioneer in multi-organ transplants including kidneys, liver, lungs, and heart.
- The doctors are known to perform 18,000 surgeries each year.
- Overall, the hospital treats more than 30,000 outpatients and 50,000 inpatients every year.
Apollo Spectra Hospital
- Apollo Spectra Hospital, Hyderabad is a multi-speciality hospital with 21 beds and a wide range of specialities.
- There are more than 50 healthcare professionals working with the hospital.
- It is widely known for advanced technologies, world-class infrastructure and maintaining near-zero infection.
- The hospital is located in 6 different centres and is accredited with GreenOT, NABH, NABL.
- It offers complex and advanced healthcare in different specialities like cardiac sciences, neurosciences, oncology, renal science etc.
Aster Prime hospital
- Aster Prime hospital was started in 2006 and is today accredited with NABH, NABL, and JCI.
- Today it is a full-fledged multi-speciality hospital which is fully equipped with 96 beds.
- The hospital has highly skilled medical and nursing expertise providing round the clock personalized care.
Why Hyderabad is a preferred placed for heart transplant surgery in India?
The cardiac surgeons in Hyderabad take the lead in the surgical expertise and the most referred doctors for complex heart-related conditions. The doctors here believe in customized and research-based treatment of the patient. They are also the experts in minimally invasive techniques, cutting-edge diagnostic laboratories and other clinical cardiology research. The traditional forms of cardiac surgery are usually dependent on open surgeries like a heart transplant.
Generally, the overall healthcare system in Hyderabad is plentiful. There are more than 50 government hospitals with nearly 5749 beds and 165 private hospitals. The healthcare system is highly standardized and much more affordable as compared to other cities in India.