Heart Bypass Surgery, also known as Coronary Artery Bypass grafting is used to treat coronary artery disease. Coronary artery disease is a condition with narrowed or blocked arteries. The surgery helps in the restoration of normal blood flow to the heart by making a bypassed way around the artery. This is done by taking a graft from a normal blood vessel in the chest or arm. This creates another pathway to carry oxygen-rich blood to the heart.
The prime objective of the surgery is not to cure the heart disease of its root, rather relieve symptoms such as chest pain or breathlessness. This leads to refinement of the heart function and reduces the risk of death due to cardiac issues.
Read: What is Cardiac Surgery?
Fortis Healthcare Group, New Delhi
Fortis Escort Heart Institute, Okhla Road, New Delhi
FEHI has set up many benchmarks when it comes to Cardiac bypass surgery, minimally invasive surgery, interventional cardiology, pediatric cardiac surgery, and non-invasive cardiology. So far, it has completed 173,000 coronary angiographies, 23,000 PTCAs, 80,000 CABG, and 18,020 other congenital surgeries.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon
FMRI has internationally trained doctors and well-educated medical staff. It is also equipped with world-class technology and infrastructure. The hospital is also known as “Mecca of Healthcare” for the Asia Pacific. It is spread across an area of the 11-acre campus and has 1000 beds. The hospital is accredited with NABH and JCI and has been ranked second amongst the 30 most technologically advanced hospitals in the world.
Fortis Flt. Lt. Rajan Dhall Hospital, Vasant Kunj
This hospital was found in 1996 with 55 facilities in India. It is a NABH accredited multi-speciality tertiary hospital. The cardiac team has performed heart retrieval and transplant surgery in 100 minutes. The team has also surpassed the European medical centres in performing complex CABG surgery with a high success rate.
Fortis Hospital, Shalimar Bagh
This hospital started operating in 2010 and is one of the largest hospitals in Fortis Healthcare Group. Its is located in the centre of Delhi NCR and the area is easily accessible. There are in total of 262 beds and the area is spread over an area of 7.34 acres. It has the best facilities for art emergency response.
Fortis Hospital, Noida
Fortis Hospital, Shalimar Bagh is a multi-super speciality hospital offering super specializations within departments, with the mission of providing quality medical care. The hospital commenced its operations in the year 2010 & is one of the largest hospitals in the Fortis Group. Fortis Hospital, Shalimar Bagh endeavours to be the champion for quality and patient centricity and is a NABH accredited hospital.
Cost of Heart Bypass Surgery at Fortis Hospital
The approximate heart bypass surgery cost in India ranges from 4000 to 7000 USD (287920 INR to 503860 INR). However, the cost may vary depending upon the individual cases such as,
- The complexity of the case
- Other medical conditions associated
- Immuno-deficiency ailments
- The expertise of the doctor
To know about the types of open-heart surgery, click here.
Top cardiac surgeons at Fortis Hospital
Dr Ashok Seth
- With an experience of more than 32 years, he has performed more than 50,000 angiograms and more than 20,000 angioplasties.
- He was the first cardiologist in Asia Pacific Region to perform an Angioscopy and directional Atherectomy.
- He is also amongst the few cardiologists in the world to perform the Percutaneous Myocardial Laser Revascularization.
Dr Ripen Gupta
- He is associated directly with the Department of Cardiology at Fortis Flt, Lt. Rajan Dhall Hospital, Vasant Kunj.
- Holds an experience of more than 19 years.
- His special interest lies in vascular interventions including coronary angioplasties, balloon valvotomy, peripheral angioplasties, pacemaker implantations etc.
Dr Nikhil Kumar
- Works as a director of the cardiology department at Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon.
- Holds an experience of more than 25 years in Interventional, non-invasive and preventive and clinical cardiology.
- He has an expertise in Complex Coronary Angioplasty including Rotational Atherectomy, Pacemaker and AICD implantation
The success rate of Heart Bypass Surgery
Heart bypass surgeries are usually safer than other heart surgeries. However, the risk of failure increases in complicated cases. The mortality rate is as low as 2 -3 per cent. At present, more than 95 % of the people who undergo coronary bypass surgery get it done successfully without serious complications.
The recovery period after CABG
It is important to take good care after the surgery to reduce the risk of heart diseases and get back to a normal routine.
Discharge from the hospital - In most of the cases, the patients are discharged from the hospital within 5 days after the surgery. In complicated cases, the discharge can be delayed. Make sure you meet the doctor before leaving the hospital and ask all the questions. Usually, the medications or their dosages are changed.
- This involves taking all the medications just as prescribed. Moreover, it is essential to take care of the surgical wound. Avoid lifting heavyweight or shoulder movements for 6 to 8 weeks to allow complete healing. If any of the following symptoms are seen, you must consult your doctor,
- Raised body temperature more than 100.4 F
- Worsening of pain around the surgical wound.
- Increased heart rate
- Redness on the skin surface
- Bleeding or drainage of pus from the wound.