In Vitro Fertilization or IVF is a form of assisted reproductive technology. It is a process by which the eggs and sperms are retrieved and combined manually in a laboratory dish. The fertilized embryonic cells are then transferred back to the uterus. There are a few other forms of assisted reproductive technology such as gamete intrafallopian transfer (GIFT), and zygote intrafallopian transfer (ZIFT).
For more information on IVF, click here.
When is IVF treatment indicated?
The best IVF doctors in India recommend getting IVF in the following cases:
- Blocked or damaged fallopian tubes
- Male infertility such as reduced sperm count or reduced sperm motility
- Women with ovulation disorders such as premature ovarian failure or uterine fibroids.
- Women with removed fallopian tubes
- Genetic disorders
- Unexplained fertility
Recommended: What are the reasons for infertility?
IVF treatment cost in Mumbai
The approximate cost of IVF in India ranges around 3500 USD to 4000 USD. This is an outpatient procedure but the stay in India is mandatory. The males have to stay in India for 7 days and the females for 45 days.
Factors affecting the cost of IVF treatment in India
Helpful: IVF Treatment Cost in India
Cost of lab investigations -
- For females, a blood test is done to check AMH levels, essential hormone levels, and viral markers. After transferring the embryo, another blood test is done to check Beta HCG.
- For males, there is semen analysis to check sperm count, sperm motility, and its morphology. A blood test is also done to check the viral markers.
Ultrasound scan cost - An ultrasound is an essential part when it comes to IVF. It is done to monitor the ovaries and the condition of the eggs.
Cost of medications - The cost of medications depends on the medications on the steps of an IVF procedure. For example, Injections are given during the initiation of IVF treatment for the development of the eggs. This is known as ovarian stimulation.
Cost of anaesthesia - Anesthesia is administered in the egg retrieval stage and the cost is included in the IVF cost.
Cost of embryo freezing - In cases where the embryos are needed to be frozen, cryopreservation is used. This is also charged separately.
Cost of laparoscopy/hysteroscopy - In some cases, laparoscopy and hysteroscopy are indicated the cost is added separately.
Other factors - Other factors include whether the couple needs a donor or not. The cost increases if the donor is involved. For example,
- In case if the IVF is done by using one’s own eggs and sperm the cost only includes the medications and other charges involved in different steps of IVF.
- If the egg or sperm is that of a donor, the additional costs are involved. The patient has to pay for all the medications and procedures for the donor. The donor eggs are more expensive than the donor sperm.
- If the entire embryo is donated, the cost is less because there is no stimulation medications needed. Both the ovarian stimulation and egg retrieval process is not needed. Only the cost of the embryo, the embryo transfer and the supportive medications is involved.
- If you go for surrogacy, the cost package is much higher as it would include the cost for all medical and other expenses of the surrogate.
Read: How IVF is done
Success rate - The success rate in cases of IVF treatment majorly depends on the age of the patient. Females who are less than 35 years of age, the success rate is around 55-60 %, while for those who are older than 35 years, the success rate reduces to 45-50 %.
Top Hospitals in Mumbai
Nova IVI Fertility Clinic
Established in 2012, this group of hospitals have two centres in Mumbai - Chembur and Andheri. Both these centres are well-equipped with technologies to deliver precise and accurate treatment, ensuring the best chances of pregnancy.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
This is the only hospital in Mumbai which ensures a Full-Time Specialist System, providing all-time access to dedicated specialists. The hospital also uses the Protocol and care Pathway based treatment models to provide the best services while treating the patients.
Fortis Hospital. Mulund
It was established in 2002 and got accredited with JCI and NABH four times. It was the first hospital in India to launch Electronic ICU. The name of Fortis has been established since 1996 and it has more than 55 facilities in line to offer in India and outside.
Nanavati Super Speciality Hospital, Mumbai
This hospital was inaugurated by India’s first prime minister in 1951 and it has been at the forefront for the last 65 years. It is accredited by NABH and also received Edge Awards in 2011 and 2012 along with the Medical Excellence Award.
Why is Mumbai a preferred place for IVF treatment in India?
Due to excellent connectivity and digital services in the city, the quality of healthcare services, especially for international patients, have been enhanced. Everything needed can be ordered online. Other than this, the hospitals are very well equipped with advanced infrastructure. The staff in each hospital is educated and well-versed with international languages.