In Vitro Fertilization or IVF is a form of assisted reproductive technology. It is a process by which the eggs and sperms are retrieved and combined manually in a laboratory dish. The fertilized embryonic cells are then transferred back to the uterus. There are a few other forms of assisted reproductive technology such as gamete intrafallopian transfer (GIFT), and zygote intrafallopian transfer (ZIFT).
The diagnostic tests required before the procedure are AMH test, Sperm count test, S. FSH, S.LH, Estradiol and S. Progesterone.
To know more about IVF, read here.
Why is IVF done?
The best IVF doctors in India recommend getting IVF in the following cases:
- Blocked or damaged fallopian tubes
- Male infertility such as reduced sperm count or reduced sperm motility
- Women with ovulation disorders such as premature ovarian failure or uterine fibroids.
- Women with removed fallopian tubes
- Genetic disorders
- Unexplained fertility
Helpful: How IVF is done
IVF Treatment Cost in Hyderabad
The approximate cost of IVF in India ranges around 3500 USD to 4000 USD. This is an outpatient procedure but the stay in India is mandatory. The males have to stay in India for 7 days and the females for 45 days.
Factors affecting the cost of IVF treatment in India
- Cost of lab investigations - For females, a blood test is done to check AMH levels, essential hormone levels, and viral markers. After transferring the embryo, another blood test is done to check Beta HCG. For males, there is semen analysis to check sperm count, sperm motility, and its morphology. A blood test is also done to check the viral markers.
- Ultrasound scan cost - An ultrasound is an essential part when it comes to IVF. It is done to monitor the ovaries and the condition of the eggs.
- Cost of medications - The cost of medications depends on the medications on the steps of an IVF procedure. For example, Injections are given during the initiation of IVF treatment for the development of the eggs. This is known as ovarian stimulation.
- Cost of anaesthesia - Anesthesia is administered in the egg retrieval stage and the cost is included in the IVF cost.
- Cost of embryo freezing - In cases where the embryos are needed to be frozen, cryopreservation is used. This is also charged separately.
- Cost of laparoscopy/hysteroscopy - In some cases, laparoscopy and hysteroscopy are indicated the cost is added separately.
- Other factors - Other factors include whether the couple needs a donor or not. The cost increases if the donor is involved. For example,
In case if the IVF is done by using one’s own eggs and sperm the cost only includes the medications and other charges involved in different steps of IVF.
If the egg or sperm is that of a donor, the additional costs are involved. The patient has to pay for all the medications and procedures for the donor. The donor eggs are more expensive than the donor sperm.
If the entire embryo is donated, the cost is less because there are no stimulation medications needed. Both the ovarian stimulation and egg retrieval process is not needed. Only the cost of the embryo, the embryo transfer and the supportive medications is involved.
If you go for surrogacy, the cost package is much higher as it would include the cost for all medical and other expenses of the surrogate.
Success rate - The success rate in cases of IVF treatment majorly depends on the age of the patient. Females who are less than 35 years of age, the success rate is around 55-60 %, while for those who are older than 35 years, the success rate reduces to 45-50 %.
Best IVF Hospitals in Hyderabad
Some of the top IVF hospitals in Hyderabad include:
Nova IVI Fertility Clinic, Hyderabad
The hospital was established in 2014 and it is known for achieving good success in genetic procedures. It has done the first pregnancy through ERA ET.
Global Hospital, Hyderabad
Established in 1998, it is now ranked India’s fourth-largest healthcare chain. The doctors have performed 18,000 surgeries every year. Approximately 30,000 patients and 50,000 inpatients are treated in the hospital each year.
KIMS Hospital, Hyderabad
The hospital is well-equipped with the latest technologies to enhance the accuracy and precision in treatment and diagnosis. It is accredited with NABH, NABL, and GreenOT.
Recommended: Best IVF Centers in India
Why is Hyderabad a preferred place for IVF treatment in India?
The health care system in Hyderabad consists of 50 government hospitals, having 5749 beds. There are 165 private hospitals and nearly 4000 clinics as well as nursing homes. There are 500 diagnostic centres. The healthcare quality in Hyderabad meet international standards and is easily affordable as compared to other cities in India. The hospitals have specialized provisions for international patients such as multi-linguistic language interpreters, visa support services, good places for accommodation, etc.
Airport connectivity in Hyderabad
Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, which is also known as Hyderabad International Airport is situated near Shamshabad. Shamshabad is 22 km south of downtown Hyderabad. The airport has one passenger terminal, one cargo terminal and two runways. The airport has served about 21.4 million passengers in the fiscal year 2018-19.