In Vitro Fertilization or IVF is a form of assisted reproductive technology. It is a process by which the eggs and sperms are retrieved and combined manually in a laboratory dish. The fertilized embryonic cells are then transferred back to the uterus. There are a few other forms of assisted reproductive technology such as gamete intrafallopian transfer (GIFT), and zygote intrafallopian transfer (ZIFT). The diagnostic tests required before the procedure are AMH test, Sperm count test, S. FSH, S.LH, Estradiol and S. Progesterone.
When is IVF recommended?
The best IVF doctors in India recommend getting IVF in the following cases:
- Blocked or damaged fallopian tubes
- Male infertility such as reduced sperm count or reduced sperm motility
- Women with ovulation disorders such as premature ovarian failure or uterine fibroids.
- Women with removed fallopian tubes
- Genetic disorders
- Unexplained fertility
Steps involved in IVF treatment:
- Stimulation - Fertility drugs are given to the patient to produce multiple eggs so that the chances of fertilization increases.
- Egg retrieval - Egg retrieval is also known as follicular aspiration, which is a surgical procedure. A needle is inserted into the ovary through the vagina, guided with ultrasound. The needle suctions eggs and fluid from the follicles.
- Insemination - After egg retrieval, the semen sample is taken and mixed with the eggs in a petri dish.
- Embryo Culture - If the eggs get fertilized, they are monitored and tested for various genetic conditions.
- Transfer - When the embryos get developed, they are implanted inside the uterus. It is done 3-5 days after fertilization.
Helpful: What happens during the IVF process?
Cost of IVF in Fortis Hospital, Gurgaon
The Fortis Healthcare group is established since 1996, having over 55 specialities. The hospitals are NABH accredited. Fortis Memorial Research Institute or FMRI was ranked second amongst the most technologically advanced hospitals in the world. It is also known as “Mecca of Healthcare” in the Asia Pacific region. It has an exclusive international patient lounge. There are approximately 10,000 beds, 260 diagnostic centres with state-of-the-art infrastructure. It is equipped with “see-through” glass lab providing instant collection and real-time processing of blood samples.
The approximate cost of IVF in India ranges around 3500 USD to 4000 USD. This is an outpatient procedure but the stay in India is mandatory. The males have to stay in India for 7 days and the females for 45 days.
Factors affecting the cost of IVF treatment in India
- Cost of lab investigations - For females, a blood test is done to check AMH levels, essential hormone levels, and viral markers. After transferring the embryo, another blood test is done to check Beta HCG. For males, there is semen analysis to check sperm count, sperm motility, and its morphology. A blood test is also done to check the viral markers.
- Ultrasound scan cost - An ultrasound is an essential part when it comes to IVF. It is done to monitor the ovaries and the condition of the eggs.
- Cost of medications - The cost of medications depends on the medications on the steps of an IVF procedure. For example, Injections are given during the initiation of IVF treatment for the development of the eggs. This is known as ovarian stimulation.
- Cost of anaesthesia - Anesthesia is administered in the egg retrieval stage and the cost is included in the IVF cost.
- Cost of embryo freezing - In cases where the embryos are needed to be frozen, cryopreservation is used. This is also charged separately.
- Cost of laparoscopy/hysteroscopy - In some cases, laparoscopy and hysteroscopy are indicated the cost is added separately.
- Other factors - Other factors include whether the couple needs a donor or not. The cost increases if the donor is involved. For example,
- In case if the IVF is done by using one’s own eggs and sperm the cost only includes the medications and other charges involved in different steps of IVF.
- If the egg or sperm is that of a donor, the additional costs are involved. The patient has to pay for all the medications and procedures for the donor. The donor eggs are more expensive than the donor sperm.
- If the entire embryo is donated, the cost is less because there are no stimulation medications needed. Both the ovarian stimulation and egg retrieval process is not needed. Only the cost of the embryo, the embryo transfer and the supportive medications are involved.
- If you go for surrogacy, the cost package is much higher as it would include the cost for all medical and other expenses of the surrogate.
IVF specialists in Fortis Hospital, Gurgaon
Dr Hrishikesh Pai
He is one of the most experienced obstetricians and gynaecologist in India with an approximate experience of 26 years. He also contributed in establishing the first Laser-Assisted Hatching Unit in India. Dr Pai was a pioneer in Micromanipulation in India. He was the former president of Indian Association of Gynecological Endoscopists and Mumbai Obstetrics & Gynaecological Society.
Dr Richika Sahay Shukla
Dr Richika Sahay Shukla is one of the most eminent doctors in India. She holds a rich experience with specialized training in the field of IVF-ICSI and gynaecological endoscopy. Dr Richika is expert in doing In-Vitro Fertilization in complicated cases such as increased age, post-menopausal cases, multiple IVF failures and many more.
The doctor is also trained in performing surrogacy, cases like complicated oocyte retrieval, embryo transfer etc. She performs fertility enhancing surgeries like laparoscopy and hysteroscopy.
The success rate of IVF in Fortis hospital Gurgaon
The success rate in cases of IVF treatment majorly depends on the age of the patient. Females who are less than 35 years of age, the success rate is around 55-60 %, while for those who are older than 35 years, the success rate reduces to 45-50 per cent.
Recommended: What is the Success Rate of IVF with Donor Eggs?