In Vitro Fertilization is multiple procedures done in a sequence to prevent fertility-related genetic problems and facilitate pregnancy. The procedure involves the matured eggs being collected from the ovaries and fertilized by the sperm outside the body. This fertilized cell, known as an embryo is then transferred to a uterus. On average it takes three weeks to complete the process.
When is IVF recommended?
The IVF treatment is recommended to those who may be suffering from the following cases:
- Fallopian tube blockage - Any obstruction in the fallopian tube restricts the movement of the egg to the uterus, where it has to get fertilized.
- Abnormalities in ovulation - IVF is also recommended in cases of infrequent or no ovulation.
- Endometriosis - When the uterine tissue is grown at someplace other than the uterus, it affects the functioning of the reproductive system.
- Uterine fibroids - These are the kind of fibroid tumours that most commonly occur in 30-40 years of age and interfere with implantation of fertilized eggs.
- Reduced mobility or production of sperm - In such cases, donor sperm can be used and fertilization can be done outside the body.
- Preservation of fertilized cells - People who are about to start with chemotherapy or radiotherapy have high chances to have impaired fertility. In such cases, the eggs can be extracted, harvested, and frozen in an unfertilized state so that these can be used later.
Cost of IVF treatment in Delhi
The approximate IVF cost in India ranges between 3500 USD to 4000 USD (251571 INR to 287510 INR). However the exact IVF cost is determined by a number of factors such as,
- Cost of lab investigations - For females, a blood test is done to check AMH levels, essential hormone levels, and viral markers. After transferring the embryo, another blood test is done to check Beta HCG. For males, there is semen analysis to check sperm count, sperm motility, and its morphology. A blood test is also done to check the viral markers.
- Ultrasound scan cost - An ultrasound is an essential part when it comes to IVF. It is done to monitor the ovaries and the condition of the eggs.
- Cost of medications - The cost of medications depends on the medications on the steps of an IVF procedure. For example, Injections are given during the initiation of IVF treatment for the development of the eggs. This is known as ovarian stimulation.
- Cost of anaesthesia - Anesthesia is administered in the egg retrieval stage and the cost is included in the IVF cost.
- Cost of embryo freezing - In cases where the embryos are needed to be frozen, cryopreservation is used. This is also charged separately.
- Cost of laparoscopy/hysteroscopy - In some cases, laparoscopy and hysteroscopy are indicated the cost is added separately.
IVF is an outpatient procedure. However, one has to stay in India for at least 45 days. The investigations consist of AMH test, sperm count test, S.FSH, S.LH, S. Estradiol and progesterone.
The success rate of IVF in Delhi
The success rate in cases of IVF treatment majorly depends on the age of the patient. Females who are less than 35 years of age, the success rate is around 55-60 %, while for those who are older than 35 years, the success rate reduces to 45-50 per cent.
Top IVF doctors in Delhi
Dr Rita Bakshi
- Holds an experience of 30 years.
- She has done more than 1000 cases of IVF annually, 6000 C-sections and 3000 hysterectomies.
- Dr Bakshi is internationally recognised for her pioneering work in assisted reproductive technology (ART).
Dr Parul Katyar
- She is an infertility specialist and reproductive endocrinologist with more than 15 years of experience.
- She has been a part of the team which performed more than 3,000 assisted conception cycles for patients.
- Her special interest lies in PCOS, reproductive endocrine disorders, male fertility, endometriosis, and fertility preservation.
Dr. Anchal Aggarwal
- With an experience of more than 18 years, she has become one of the leading gynaecologists in Delhi.
- She is the highest degree holder in Reproductive Endocrinology available in India, which is a distinctive factor in her credentials.
Dr. Kaberi Banerjee
- Holds an experience of more than 22 years.
- Received training at St. Thomas Hospital, London.
- She has also performed more than 53,000 IVF cycles so far.
Top IVF Hospitals in Delhi
Southend Fertility and IVF Hospital
- Established in 2001, Southend Fertility and IVF is one the leading name among fertility treatment centres in Delhi.
- Founded by Dr Sonia Malik and Dr Avtar Krishan, the centre has been ranked 3rd best in Delhi NCR and 5th best in North India by All India Fertility and IVF Ranking survey.
- Additionally, it has been awarded the title of Best Infertility Chain by ABP News and Best Fertility Chain by Asia One.
International Fertility Center
- International Fertility Centre was founded by India’s leading IVF specialist Dr Rita Bakshi in 2012.
- Services offered are In-vitro Fertilization (IVF), Intrauterine Insemination (IUI), Intracytoplasmic Injection (ICSI), Egg Donation, Surrogacy, Blastocyst, Assisted Hatching, Hysteroscopy and Laparoscopy.
- It is renowned for clinical pregnancy rates and lives birth rates.
- Offers the best treatment at affordable costs.
Nova IVI Fertility
- In 2015, Nova IVI Fertility was awarded as the Best Fertility Chain in India.
- Offers core procedures such as IUI, IVF, ICSI and Andrology.
- By May 2016, Nova had completed 10,000 IVF pregnancies.
Delhi IVF and Fertility Center
- One of the topmost infertility hospitals in India, which helped in the delivery of nearly 10,960 babies in 55 countries.
- The unit has been serving the patients for the last 25 years, with its first IVF procedure done in 1994.
- Moreover, the hospital has conducted nearly 2,110 postmenopausal deliveries.