IVF is a series of multiple steps done to facilitate pregnancy and prevent any genetic abnormalities. Mature eggs are retrieved from the ovaries and fertilized with the sperm outside the body. This fertilized cell is known as an embryo. On average, the process takes approximately 3 weeks.
Click here to know more about IVF
What are the steps in IVF?
A typical IVF procedure usually consists of the following steps:
- Stimulation - Fertility drugs are given to the patient to produce multiple eggs so that the chances of fertilization increases.
- Egg retrieval - Egg retrieval is also known as follicular aspiration, which is a surgical procedure. A needle is inserted into the ovary through the vagina, guided with ultrasound. The needle suctions eggs and fluid from the follicles.
- Insemination - After egg retrieval, the semen sample is taken and mixed with the eggs in a petri dish.
- Embryo Culture - If the eggs get fertilized, they are monitored and tested for various genetic conditions.
- Transfer - When the embryos get developed, they are implanted inside the uterus. It is done 3-5 days after fertilization.
Please refer this link to know more about steps involved in IVF Process
IVF treatment cost in Chennai
The healthcare system in Chennai is run by both government and private hospital. It attracts about 45 per cent of the health tourists overseas and 30-40 per cent of the domestic patients. Chennai is known as the health capital of India as there are several Multi-speciality and super-speciality hospitals, which deal with nearly 150 patients each day. Some of the prime reasons for the superfluous inflow of the patients are:
- Low cost
- No waiting period
- Advanced facilities
The approximate cost of IVF in India ranges around 3500 USD to 4000 USD (212874 INR to 283832 INR). This is an outpatient procedure but the stay in India is mandatory. The males have to stay in India for 7 days and the females for 45 days.
Click here to know the cost of IVF in India
Top fertility doctors in Chennai
Dr. Kamala Selvaraj
- Experience - more than 47 years
- She is a pioneer in test-tube babies and surrogacies.
- Has also won many accolades and National awards.
Dr. Geetha Haripariya
- One of the most renowned gynaecologists and infertility specialists in Chennai.
- Has treated more than 25,000 birth cases so far.
- She has several “firsts” to her credit and also won a lifetime award for advanced learning with Harvard.
Dr. S Sharda
- Experience - more than 11 years.
- Currently associated with Global hospitals in Chennai.
- She is a member of various renowned organizations such as the Indian Medical Association and Federation of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Dr. Samundi Shankari
- Experience - more than 43 years
- Offers procedures like assisted hatching, TESE, Pregentic diagnosis and reproductive surgeries.
- Known for having high success rate in most of the procedures.
Best fertility hospitals in Chennai
Chennai Fertility Center
- The hospital has delivered more than 12,000 IVF, ICSI and frozen Embryo babies in India and overseas.
- It has also created a world record of treating more than 22,000 IVF cases.
- It also has the highest success rate in ART pregnancies.
Parampara Fertility and Gynae Center
- Leading fertility hospital with nearly 20 years of experience.
- The hospital has done more than 1250 cases of infertility treatment
- The unit is well-equipped with cutting-edge technologies and routinely performs procedures including IVF, ICSI, IVM, sperm freezing, donor eggs, surrogacy, sonohysterography and many more.
Apollo hospital, Greams Road
- Established in 1983, it is considered one of the best hospitals in India.
- It was the first Indian hospital to be awarded ISO 9001 and ISO 141001 certifications along with NABH and JCI accreditations.
- It has also bagged top 2 positions in the All India Multispeciality Hospital Survey 2016 conducted by Times Health.
- It was established in 1992.
- The hospital has 40 different specialities in medical care such as cardiology, neurology, ENT surgery etc.
- It has more than 160 consultants and 650 employees.
Helpful: Fibroids and its types
How has Chennai emerged as a hub for advanced medical treatment?
A good education system has always been an indispensable part of Chennai. In addition to good schools, it is home to many eminent colleges, such as IIT Madras, which is one of the top 10 engineering colleges of India. There are several research institutes in Chennai such as The National Research Institute of Tuberculosis, The National Research Institute of Epidemiology, The Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute and many more. This has resulted in building a strong foundation when it comes to having an advanced infrastructure and highly educated & skilled surgeons.