IVF stands for In vitro fertilization, which means the fertilization takes place outside the body. Ovulation in the women is keenly monitored and stimulated to make the ovaries release as many eggs as possible. The eggs are retrieved and made to fertilize with the sperm. The fertilized egg is stored for 2-6 days and then transferred back to the uterus.
India’s first test-tube baby was born on October 3, 1978, and named Kanupriya Agarwal. The first IVF procedure was done by Dr. Subhash Mukhopadhyay.
Click here to know more about IVF
Success Rate of IVF
The success rate of IVF in India is quite high due to the expertise of the doctors and advancement in the technologies used. It can be as high as 40-60% in most of the cases if everything goes well. However, it may vary from individual to individual, depending upon several factors such as,
- Age of the woman
- Condition of the uterus
- Success or failure of fertilization
- Number of eggs retrieved
- Quality of sperms
You may be interested in: Processes involved in IVF
IVF cost in Bangalore
Usually, the IVF cost in India ranges between 3500 USD to 4000 USD (250824 INR 286656 INR). The exact amount of cost is determined by many other factors such as,
Cost of lab investigations -
- For females, a blood test is done to check AMH levels, essential hormone levels, and viral markers. After transferring the embryo, another blood test is done to check Beta HCG.
- For males, there is semen analysis to check sperm count, sperm motility, and its morphology. A blood test is also done to check the viral markers.
Ultrasound scan cost - An ultrasound is an essential part when it comes to IVF. It is done to monitor the ovaries and the condition of the eggs.
Cost of medications - The cost of medications depends on the medications on the steps of an IVF procedure. For example, Injections are given during the initiation of IVF treatment for the development of the eggs. This is known as ovarian stimulation.
Cost of anaesthesia - Anesthesia is administered in the egg retrieval stage and the cost is included in the IVF cost.
Cost of embryo freezing - In cases where the embryos are needed to be frozen, cryopreservation is used. This is also charged separately.
Cost of laparoscopy/hysteroscopy - In some cases, laparoscopy and hysteroscopy are indicated the cost is added separately.
Need of a donor egg or sperm -
In case if the IVF is done by using one’s own eggs and sperm the cost only includes the medications and other charges involved in different steps of IVF.
If the egg or sperm is that of a donor, the additional costs are involved. The patient has to pay for all the medications and procedures for the donor. The donor eggs are more expensive than the donor sperm.
If the entire embryo is donated, the cost is less because there are no stimulation medications needed. Both the ovarian stimulation and egg retrieval process is not needed. Only the cost of the embryo, the embryo transfer and the supportive medications are involved.
If you go for surrogacy, the cost package is much higher as it would include the cost for all medical and other expenses of the surrogate.
Recommended: Cost of IVF Treatment in India
Top IVF hospitals in Bangalore
GarbhaGudi IVF centre
- Founded by Dr Asha S Vijay.
- The hospital is counted amongst the top 20 Most Promising Fertility Clinics 2018.
- It has achieved high success rates due to its highly advanced labs.
Nova IVI Fertility Centre
- The hospital was established in 2011. Presently, it has three centres in Bangalore.
- The doctors are highly experienced and the hospitals are well-equipped with state-of-the-art equipment.
Fortis Hospital, Bangalore
- This is a multi-speciality hospital, started in 2006.
- It has been ranked no. 3 amongst the best hospitals in the world.
- There is a big team of 150 doctors and 1000 other well-trained paramedical staff.
Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- This group of hospitals was founded by Dr Devi Shetty in 2000.
- It has 23 hospitals, 7 heart centres and 24 primary care across the nation.
- The medical infrastructure is advanced enough to take care of high-risk pregnancies and premature babies.
Recommended: Why you should choose IVF in India?
Why is Bangalore a preferred place for medical treatment in India?
According to experts, medical tourism has a lot of scope in Bangalore. It caters many patients from all over the world. The city also attracts millions of tourists across the world. There are many institutions in the medical field providing education and training to the students as well as treatment at affordable costs. There are many non-profitable organizations, which are funded by organizations providing cost-effective treatment. The hospitals have international accreditations and work with reputed doctors. Staying in the city is also a pleasant experience with all the facilities available at the click of a button.
Airport connectivity - Kempegowda International Airport is an international airport located in Bangalore. It is spread across an area of 4000 acres and located about 40 kilometres from the city. It is the third busiest airport if calculated by passenger traffic in the country. It handled over 25.04 million passengers in 2017 with over 600 aircraft movements in a day.