HSG means Hysterosalpingogram. If you are someone who is facing difficulty in getting pregnant, you must make sure that your ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes are alright and functioning well. The ovaries help in producing the eggs. The fallopian tubes help in carrying the eggs to the uterus, and the uterus is made to carry and nurture the fertilized egg during pregnancy.
HSG is used to examine female fertility. It does not need hospital admission. An iodine-based dye is inserted through the cervix and then a series of x-rays are taken. The x-rays are used to evaluate the shape and size of the uterus and examine if the fallopian tubes are blocked. The HSG test is recommended when there is difficulty in conceiving or whenever there are more than two miscarriages subsequently. Read More about the HSG test.
How to prepare before the test,
- Make sure you consult an expert for getting the HSG test done, who specializes in fertility issues.
- Sometimes, the test is covered under insurance. So check with your insurance company before going for the test.
- Usually, the HCG test is done on 5th -9th of the cycle. In the case of women having irregular cycles, the doctor has to perform a pregnancy test before the HSG test to make sure that you are not pregnant while the HSG test is performed.
- You must inform the physician if you are allergic to any substances including Iodine, betadine or Novocaine. You may get allergy from the dye inserted before the test.
- It is advisable to take an anti-inflammatory pain medicine an hour or two before the procedure since it is common to experience cramping after the test.
- Ask your doctor if you need to take any antibiotics as there may be a chance of infection sometimes.
- Keep a sanitary napkin with you while you go for an HSG test as there can be leakage of the contrast dye.
- Wear comfortable clothes instead of tightly-fitted ones.
- Bring someone with you, who can drive you back home.
How is the HSG test done?
To begin with, a contrast medium or a dye is administered in the uterus and in the fallopian tubes. This helps in identifying these internal structures on the x-ray. The fluid containing dye takes the shape and size of the uterus and fallopian tubes.
The patient is made to lie on her back. An instrument known as a speculum is inserted into the vagina. The speculum helps in keeping the vagina wide open so that the cervix is seen clearly in the x-ray.
Local anaesthesia is injected into the cervix. This is followed by injection of the contrast medium either with the help of cannula or with a plastic tube that has a small balloon at its end. The balloon is inflated to keep the uterus in place and the dye is inserted through the tube.
The patient is placed under the x-ray machine and the images are taken.
Additional Information - Read here about the best fertility hospitals in India.
HSG test - What to expect?
The patients may expect to have a sticky vaginal discharge after the procedure. The discharge may also have tints of blood. It is always advised to carry a sanitary pad. Other than the discharge, there may be bleeding in the vaginal, dizziness, fainting and cramps. Some of the most common risks associated with HSG are:
- Heavy vaginal bleeding
- Fever or chills
- Abdominal pain
- Pungent smell from the vaginal discharge
HSG test pain
- Usually, there is no pain or discomfort when the dye passes through the uterus, fallopian tubes or even in the abdominal cavity. However, if the fallopian tubes are blocked, a pressure may be exerted by the fluid containing dye. The excessive pressure may lead to pain.
- If there is any pain, it is important to inform the doctor. The catheter must be removed to release the pressure.
- Therefore, it is recommended to take pain medication an hour before the procedure is done. It helps in reducing cramping that might take place during the test.
- Do not get anxious as it may also increase pain perception.
HSG test Video
Click here to watch the video showing the exact procedure involving the insertion of the tube to insert the dye and taking the x-ray images. The video may help you in getting an exact idea of how the procedure is done.
HSG test cost in Bangalore
According to experts, medical tourism has a lot of scope in Bangalore. It caters many patients from all over the world. The city also attracts millions of tourists across the world. There are many institutions in the medical field providing education and training to the students as well as treatment at affordable costs. There are many non-profitable organizations, which are funded by organizations providing cost-effective treatment. The hospitals have international accreditations and work with reputed doctors. Staying in the city is also a pleasant experience with all the facilities available at the click of a button. The approximate cost of HSG test in a city like Bangalore is between 1500 INR to 3000 INR. you can get the test done in any of the following labs:
- YS diagnostic centre
- Radics Diagnostics
- Delta Diagnostic and Research centre
- Manipal Northside hospital
- Fermiint health and fertility
You may also like to know about the best fertility specialists in Bangalore.
HSG test cost in Kolkata
The city of Kolkata is popular for its historical landmarks and delicacies. It has a rich culture. The natives are well educated. Some of the best educational institutes are located in Kolkata. It is also well known for quality healthcare services without any long queues for waiting. The hospitals work with highly qualified medical staff, who is also well-versed in speaking English. There are many language-interpreters working with these hospitals, who are multi-linguistic. Kolkata is a well-connected city which has its own airport and widely connected to other major cities. The average cost of the HSG test in Kolkata is around 2000 INR. You can get the test in any of the following labs:
- Review diagnostics
- Spiral Diagnostics Pvt Ltd.
- Probe Diagnostics Pvt Ltd.
- Medi point
- Millennium Health care
HSG cost in Hyderabad
Hyderabad is a charming place with a multitude of tourist spots, shopping places and local food. It also attracts a huge number of medical tourists to the city. The hospitals have excellent infrastructure with all possible facilities and amenities one could ever ask for. All range of rooms is available from those with lavish stay to pocket-friendly rooms. There are people in the team who are multi-linguistic in languages like French, Arabic, Russian etc.
If you are looking for an HSG test in Hyderabad, it may cost you around 2400 INR on an average. Some of the popular diagnostic centres in Hyderabad are:
- First Health Diagnostics
- Tanvir hospital
- Exo path labs
- Virinchi hospital
- Medicare plus diagnostic centre
Vaidam Health is the first ISO certified facilitator company in India. It provides international patients with the best medical tour packages and assists them in the best way possible to get themselves treated.
Post your queries in our Enquiry section and we will reach out to you. Based on your condition, we provide you with a list of doctors and hospitals, provide opinions by the doctors and also give you the cost estimate. You can also check out our new cost calculator that gives you a complete list of expenditures as well as the total cost of your medical tour.
Apart from accommodation options in the country, we also help in visa application, pick up and drop from the airport and keep a tab of all the recreations that you require on your medical tour to India.