Chemotherapy is one of the most aggressive forms of infusing medications given with the purpose of destroying rapidly growing cancerous cells. Chemotherapy is usually given in combination with other forms of treatment such as surgery, radiotherapy or hormonal therapy. Chemotherapy is usually given to accomplish goals like
- Preventing cell division
- Destroying energy sources for cancerous cells
- Causing apoptosis of cancerous cells
Recommended: What is Chemotherapy?
When is chemotherapy done?
This form of treatment is primarily done to:
- Cause shrinkage of the tumour before surgery
- Remove leftover cells after the surgery or radiotherapy
- To slow down the rapid growth of cancer cells
Click here to know how long does chemo last?
How is it done?
The chemotherapy drugs are usually administered in the form of pills, intravenous injections, or IV. Some other ways the administration are:
- Localised chemotherapy can also be given to the affected part of the body.
- The drugs can also be taken orally or in the form of single shots.
- Sometimes, a needle is inserted during each session through which the drugs are administered into the bloodstream.
- Topically applicable creams with chemotherapy drugs can be used to treat some skin cancers.
- The drugs are injected directly into the tumour if the location is accessible.
Helpful: Chemotherapy Treatment strategies
Cost of chemotherapy in Bangalore
Usually, the average chemotherapy cost in India ranges between 650 USD to 1100 USD (46569 INR to 78810 INR) for each cycle. However, the exact cost depends on some other factors such as,
- Stage of cancer
- Location of the tumour
- Type of drugs used
- Number of sessions needed
- The expertise of the doctor
- The reputation of the hospital
- Cost of living
- Cost of investigations
Each session may last for half to two hours. A standard of 6 cycles is usually followed, which may vary with an individual. Investigations will include blood tests, x-rays, physical examination, HIV, Hepatitis, and PET scan.
Click here to know the cost of chemotherapy in India
Top Cancer Hospitals in Bangalore
Global Hospital, Bangalore
- The Global Hospital is ranked 4th in the World’s largest healthcare chain.
- It carries out nearly 18,000 surgeries each year, treats 30,000 outpatients and 50,000 inpatients each year.
- The hospital is recognised worldwide for doing complex surgeries for oral, head and neck cancers with 100% success rate such as microvascular surgery, skull base surgeries, and organ preservation surgeries.
- The radiation department is also well-equipped with advanced technologies such as Rapid ARC, stereotactic body radiotherapy for cranial and extra-cranial sites, 3D conformal radiotherapy, IGRT, IMRT, Hybrid VMAT for bilateral breast cancer.
Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- The group of hospitals was founded by Dr Devi Shetty in 2000.
- Today, it has 23 hospitals, 7 heart centres and 24 primary care facilities across the nation.
- It is accredited by NABH.
- One of the topmost hospitals in India for oncology which provides a wide range of treatment options for non-operative cancer cases with world-class facilities.
- A distinct section for pediatric patients is there which is well equipped with the latest infrastructure to treat conditions like Wilm’s tumour, hepatoblastoma, neuroblastoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, retinoblastoma, and many others.
- Established in 2007, it is known for using the most advanced technology to ensure precise and accurate treatment.
- It is accredited by JCI (Joint Commission International) and also uses International standards for lab work and other treatments.
- Apollo Hospitals was also ranked the 2nd best multi-speciality hospital in Bangalore by the Week A C Nielsen, Best Hospital Survey 2013.
Fortis Hospital, Bangalore
- Fortis Healthcare began its operations in 2006 in Bangalore.
- It was ranked no. 3 amongst the best hospitals in the world and no. 1 in India.
- It is also the leading hospital in India in the field of pediatric hemato-oncology for having all the latest equipment and also involved in several new clinical trials.
- Nearly 4000 cancer patients have been treated in the hospital in the last 3 years.
- Also, it is known to have done the largest number of robotic surgeries in oesophagal cancers and thyroid diseases.
Best Cancer Doctors in Bangalore
Dr Vijay Agarwal
- Experience - more than 16 years.
- Expert in treating all types of solid tumours with chemotherapy and targeted therapy.
- He is the member of several reputed organizations including Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh, Association of Cancer Physicians, London, European Society of Medical Oncologists, Brussels and Flims Alumni Club, Brussels.
Dr Poonam Patil
- Experience- more than 11 years.
- Her areas of interest include therapeutic oncology with special expertise in gynaecological cancers.
- She is actively involved in raising awareness about ‘Cancer in Women and Early Detection Campaign’ and its early treatment.
- She is a member of prestigious associations such as the American Society of Oncology and the European Society of Medical Oncology.
Dr Aditya Murali
- Experience - more than 6 years.
- He is specially trained in doing immunotherapy for solid tumours.
- He is particularly an expert in acute myeloid, multiple myeloma, leukaemia, and bone marrow transplantations.
- The doctor has received several awards over the years. He was the National Finalist and was adjudged the Best Young Medical Oncologist in India (2016) and the Winner of CME Hematology Programme Competition, held at Christian Medical College, Vellore (2013).
Follow this link to know about best chemotherapy doctors in India
Why you should prefer Bangalore for cancer treatment in India?
According to experts, medical tourism has a lot of scope in Bangalore. It caters many patients from all over the world. The city also attracts millions of tourists across the world. There are many institutions in the medical field providing education and training to the students as well as treatment at affordable costs. There are many non-profitable organizations, which are funded by organizations providing cost-effective treatment. The hospitals have international accreditations and work with reputed doctors. Staying in the city is also a pleasant experience with all the facilities available at the click of a button.
Airport connectivity - Kempegowda International Airport is an international airport located in Bangalore. It is spread across an area of 4000 acres and located about 40 kilometres from the city. It is the third busiest airport if calculated by passenger traffic in the country. It handled over 25.04 million passengers in 2017 with over 600 aircraft movements in a day.