Vitamin B12 is one of the most vital vitamins, needed for maintaining the health of nerve tissue, brain and production of RBCs. It is also known as Cobalamin. The deficiency can lead to neurological symptoms which cannot be reversed. The benefits of vitamin B12 include:
- It helps in the production of Red Blood Cells.
- It plays a significant role in the normal functioning of the brain and nerves.
- It crucially helps in the creation and regulation of DNA.
- Vitamin B12 also helps in the synthesis of fatty acids and energy production.
Recommended Dietary Allowance - People above the age of 14 years should consume approximately 2.4 micrograms of vitamin B12 in one day.
Sources of Vitamin B12
The richest and most abundant sources of vitamin B12 is animal fat. This may include:
- Kidneys and liver of animals
- Fish like Tuna and Sardines
However, there are also some vegetarian sources for vitamin B12. These are:
- Milk and other dairy products like yoghurt, cheese, etc.
- Certain kinds of cereals
- Nutritional yeast
What are the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency?
- If the levels of vitamin B12 reduces below 200 ng/ml, it may result in severe destruction to the brain functions and the nervous system. There may be certain signs and symptoms like confusion, short term memory loss, depression, anxiety etc. In severe cases, there may be numbness or tingling. Additional information - Best neurologists in India
- Certain signs related to digestive system like constipation or unintentional weight loss.
- Infants having vitamin B12 deficiency have to face symptoms like face tremors, reflex issues, feeding problems, irritation etc.
- Other than this, vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to anaemia which is manifested as fatigue, shortness of breath, abnormal heartbeat rhythm.
- There can be the sore mouth, yellowing of the skin, diarrhoea, and increased susceptibility to infection.
To read in detail about vitamin B12 deficiency, click here.
Vitamin B12 test cost
Vitamin B12 test is used to diagnose anaemia or neuropathy, to analyse the nutritional status or to check the efficacy of vitamin B2 deficiency treatment. How is it done:
The individual going for the test is advised not to drink or eat anything 6 to 8 hours before the test. Blood is withdrawn from the inner elbow by inserting a needle in a vein. At some places, home kits are also available which enable people to do the test at home.
Low levels of B12 suggests anaemia, internal infection or hyperthyroidism. High levels may indicate liver diseases, kidney failure, diabetes, leukaemia etc.
Who needs a vitamin B12 test?
The doctors usually recommend new mothers to take the vitamin B12 test to take the test. If they have low levels of B12, the babies may have increased risk of developmental and neurological abnormalities. Other than this, there are certain conditions that reduce the absorption of B12. These patients are also suggested to regularly take the test. These conditions include pernicious anaemia, celiac disease, Crohn's disease, and atrophic gastritis.
The cost of vitamin B12 in India ranges from 500 INR to 1000 INR. The cost may vary depending upon the city and many other factors. Read more about vitamin B12 test.
Vitamin B12 test cost in Gurgaon
Usually, the price range remains the same, that is 500 INR to 1000 INR. Some very expensive labs may also cost you around 1300 INR. Some of the most common laboratories which facilitate the test are mentioned below:
- General Diagnostics
- Exo Labs
- Nirmaya Pathlabs
- Medcis Labs
- Ehl Diagnostics
- Plasma Health check diagnostics
- Dr. Lal Path Labs
- Astha Diagnostic centre
- Exo Path Labs
- SRL Diagnostics
- Asha Diagnostic centre
- Indian Diagnostics
- Care pathology lab
- Unique Diagnostic and research centre
Gurgaon is known as the millennial city, where everything is available at the click of a button. It has been engaging a lot of medical tourists from the past few years. The city has some of the best infrastructures in hospitals. Digital services are great here. From cabs to the grocery to food, you do not need to step out for anything.
Vitamin B12 test cost in Bangalore
The cost of vitamin B12 testing in Bangalore also ranges between 350 INR to 2500 INR. The price range is more versatile here. On average, it may cost you around 1000 INR. Some of the popular labs in Bangalore that provides B12 testing are:
- Manipal hospital
- Columbia Asia hospital
- Aarthi Diagnostics
- NM Medical centre
- HK hospital
- People tree hospital
- Neha Prakash hospital
- Pristine hospital
- Apollo hospitals
- Veritas Diagnostics
Bangalore is known as technological advancements, which is why an increasing number of medical tourists visit the city each year. The city has a cosmopolitan lifestyle moving ahead with a fast pace. Most of the hospitals and laboratories have national accreditations. The weather is pleasant at almost all times of the year.
Vitamin B12 test cost in Hyderabad
Talking about Hyderabad, the approximate cost is 300 INR to 3000 INR. On average, it may cost you around 900 INR. The hospitals are well equipped and have highly qualified professionals. They also have language interpreters for medical tourists. Most of the time, there is less or no waiting period. Despite all this, the cost is quite affordable.
Vitamin B12 test cost in Chandigarh
The prices in Chandigarh, however, is quite less. The approximate cost is around 400 to 1500 INR. The popular labs in Chandigarh are:
- Universal Diagnostic centre
- Dr Ashwani Kumar Malhotra
- Uttam laboratory
- Mediwell clinical lab
- Panchvati diagnostic centre
- ALPS diagnostic laboratory
- Modern Diagnostic centre
Chandigarh is known as the city beautiful. It has pleasant weather. Staying in Chandigarh is an enjoying experience. Everything is systematic. It is quite as easy to commute from one place to another.
Where does Vaidam Come into the role for you?
Vaidam Health acts as a digital mediator for those who seek any medical treatment in India. Patients in huge numbers come to India for cancer treatment such as brain tumours, spine tumours, lung cancer, liver cancer and many more. Right from helping you choose the right hospital and right doctor in India, we will also assist you in visa application, airport picks up & drop off, accommodation arrangement here in India and everything else you need during your stay.
Vaidam Health is accredited with NABH (National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare providers) and ISO certified.