Treatments and Cost Related to Valve Replacement
More About Valve Replacement Surgery
Symptoms for Valve Replacement
Main signs of heart valve disease is an unusual heartbeat sound called a heart murmur. Many people having heart valve disease don't have any symptoms until they're middle-aged or older. The main signs and symptoms include:
- Unusual fatigue (tiredness) or weakness
- Shortness of breath or difficulty catching your breath
- Swelling in the ankles, feet, legs, abdomen, and veins in the neck
- Fluttering, racing, or irregular heartbeat.
- Chest pain or palpitations (rapid rhythms or skips)
- Inability to maintain regular activity level
- Light-headedness or loss of consciousness
Treatments for heart valve disorders mostly depends on the severity of the disorder and symptoms.
Medical Tests For Detecting Valve Replacement
For the diagnosis of heart valve disease, the doctor will firstly check for the signs and symptoms. Then a physical examination is performed. The commonly advised test are:
- Chest-X ray
- Cardiac catheterization
- Stress test
- Cardiac MRI
Medications For Patients with Valve problem
The commonly prescribes medicines are:
- Beta –blockers & calcium channel blockers: These control the heart rate and blood flow
- Diuretics: To reduce fluid retention
- Vasodilators : These drugs open or dilate blood vessels
About Valve Surgery
The procedure is performed under general anaesthesia & the procedure takes 2-4 hours.
- Patient is shifted to the operating room & GA is administered
- Patient’s heart is stopped & they are is connected to a heart-lung bypass machine. This machine performs the work of the heart, providing oxygen and removing carbon dioxide.
- Open Heart Surgery: Surgeon makes a large surgical cut in the breastbone to reach the heart and aorta.
- Minimally Invasive Surgery: In this procedure very small cuts are made or it is performed by using a catheter, which is inserted through the skin.
- Valve repair : If the valve can be repaired ,then the surgeon will repair it by
- Ring annuloplasty: The ring-like part around the valve is repaired by sewing a ring of plastic, cloth, or tissue around the valve.
- Valve repair: In this the surgeon trims, shapes, or rebuilds one or more of the leaflets of the valve. The leaflets are flaps that open and close the valve.
- Valve replacement: If the valve is too damaged, a new valve is put. In this the surgeon will remove the old valve and put a new one in place. The main types of new valves are:
- Mechanical – This is made of man-made materials, such as metal (stainless steel or titanium) or ceramic. After the procedure, patient is advised to take blood-thinning medicine for the rest of their life
- Biological – This is made of human or animal tissue. These valves last 12 to 15 years, and the patient may not need to take blood thinners for life.
- Incision will be closed with sutures or surgical staples and a sterile bandage or dressing will be applied.
Factors Affecting Cost of Valve Replacement Surgery
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service).
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons ,Anesthesist ,Physiotherapist ,Dietician )
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Cost of valve
Top Doctors For Valve Replacement Treatment in India View all (17)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
Top Hospitals For Valve Replacement Treatment in India View all (77)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Videos Related to Valve Replacement In India
Heart Valve Replacement Surgery Guide
Sinikiwe from Zimbabwe is sharing her experience about CHD Surgery in India
CABG and Valve Replacement Explained by Dr. Murtaza A Chishti of Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
Patient Testimonials For Cardiology And Cardiac Surgery Procedures in India