Symptoms for Detecting Hip Replacement
Generally any person can be a suitable candidates for a hip replacement. Candidates for this surgery are not categorized by age, class or activity level. Most of the patients are between the ages of 60 and 80, but the surgery isn't confined to the elderly patients.
Hip replacement surgery is considered if pain:
- Persists, in spite of having pain medication
- Worsens with walking, even with a cane or walker
- Interferes with sleep
- Affects the ability to go up or down stairs
- Makes it difficult to rise from a seated position
Click here to know more about Hip Replacement
Medical Test/ Diagnosis for Hip Replacement
A medical history and physical examination is done. It is diagnosed by an abnormal X-ray that shows characteristic features such as narrowing of the joint and spurring of the joint margins.
You may be interested in: Candidates for Hip Replacement Surgery
- The surgical procedure takes a few hours & is performed general anaesthesia.
- Damaged cartilage and bone are removed and then new metal, plastic or ceramic implants are positioned to restore the alignment and function of the hip.
- A cut is made along the side of the hip and the muscles are moved to connect them to the top of the thighbone, exposing the hip joint.
- Next, the ball portion of the joint is removed by cutting the thighbone with a saw.
- After this an artificial joint is attached to the thighbone using either cement or a special material that allows the remaining bone to attach to the new joint.
- Surface of the hipbone is prepared by removing any damaged cartilage and the replacement socket part is attached to the hipbone.
- The new ball part of the thighbone is then inserted into the socket part of the hip. A drain may be put in to help drain any fluid. The doctor then reattaches the muscles and closes the incision.
- Patient will have to stay in the hospital for 6–8 days.
- They will have to stay in bed with a wedge-shaped cushion between the legs to keep the new hip joint in place.
- Complete recovery can take 6-12 months.
Click here to know how to get ready for hip replacement surgery
Factors Affecting the Cost of Hip Replacement Surgery
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for
- Room– Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service)
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons, Anesthesist, Physiotherapist, Dietician )
- Physiotherapy session
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options:
- Single hip/both
- Implant being used