Tooth Reshaping and Dental Contouring
Dental contouring also known as tooth reshaping is a minor cosmetic procedure to alter the size, shape or surface of the teeth. The contouring process is often combined with bonding, a treatment which remodels and sculptures the shape the teeth. Tooth recontouring is performed using abrasion of enamel and sculpting process. Dental X-rays is taken prior to the procedure to ensure the teeth are healthy. The dentist will determine the teeth to be contoured and highlight them. Sanding equipment will be used to reduce or mask the imperfections on the teeth surface and strips resembling a sand paper will be used to contour the sides, then they will be smoothed and polished.
Candidates for Tooth Reshaping
- People with loss of enamel or when the tooth pulp is too close to the surface
- Existing teeth sensitivity
- Minor chapping at the edges of the teeth
- Minor crowding or malposition of the teeth
- Finishing touch after braces removal
Benefits of Tooth Reshaping
- Reshaped teeth are easy to clean
- Improved oral hygiene
- Lower the risk of tooth decay
- Avoids dental disease
- Easy to floss and brush
- Repair minor biting issues
- Teeth look natural and healthy
- The patient will initially be screened by taking X-ray of the teeth to determine the location and size of the pulp which is enriched with the blood vessels and nerves.
- The enamel is examined by the dentist, if it is too thin or the pulp is adjacent to teeth surface recontouring will not possible.
- In such cases other procedures such as teeth bonding will be the choice.
- Patients on medication with disorders such as diabetes and hypertension should be informed to the dentist.
- Patients having problems of tooth sensitivity should be informed as the procedure involves removal of a part of enamel which may make them not fit tooth contouring.
- Tooth contouring procedure involves the removal of small portion of enamel which is the outer hard covering of the tooth.
- The enamel is not innervated with nerves and does not require anaesthetic while removing a part of it.
- The individual may feel some vibration feeling during the sculpting process using a sanding disc or a fine diamond.
- A small part of enamel will be removed using a drill to sculpt the tooth in a pleasing appeal and to fit in proper position with the neighbouring tooth.
- The tooth will be polished for an attractive finish.
- The imperfections between teeth can be removed by using a sandpaper to smooth the sides.
- The reshaped teeth require proper care after the procedure to maintain the improved appearance.
- The recontoured tooth is at risk of staining and chipping hence, the individuals must avoid chewing gums, eating hard foods and opening the containers with the teeth to reduce the risks of chipping.
- After the recontouring, the teeth must be brushed twice a day to keep them white and free from stains well after treatment.
- Some beverages such as coffee, tea and red wine contain resin. These may stain the teeth and should be avoided.
Top Doctors For Tooth Reshaping and Dental Contouring Treatment in India View all (21)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
11 years of experience , New Delhi
10 years of experience , Gurgaon
20 years of experience , Chennai
10 years of experience , Chennai
Top Hospitals For Tooth Reshaping and Dental Contouring Treatment in India View all (61)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Multi Specialty | Gurgaon
Single Specialty | Gurgaon
Multi Specialty | 1000 beds | New Delhi
Super Specialty | 1250 beds | Gurgaon
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Patient Testimonials For Dental Treatment Procedures in India