The most common early symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis are:
- Pain & stiffness: Patients experience a constant pain and stiffness in the low back, buttocks, and hips .This may last for more than three months.
- Bony fusion: It can cause an overgrowth of the bones, which can lead to an abnormal joining of bones, this is called "bony fusion."
- Pain in ligaments & tendons: Spondylitis can affect some of the ligaments and tendons that are attached to the bones.
- Neck pain and fatigue also are common.
Diagnosis starts with a general physical examination. After which following test are advised:
- Lab test : Certain blood test are advised
There is no cure for ankylosing spondylitis, but there are treatment options that can reduce the discomfort and improve function. The aim of treatment is to reduce pain and stiffness, maintain a good posture, prevent deformity, and preserve the ability to perform normal activities.
Following treatment plan is followed:
- Physical & occupational physical therapy
You may be interested in: Types of Spondylitis
Artificial joint replacement surgery may be a treatment option for some people with advanced joint disease affecting the knees & hips. There are different types of spine surgery. The type of spine surgery the surgeon recommends is based on many factors:
- Severity of the spinal deformity (e.g. chin-on-chest)
- Rigidity of the spine
- Lifestyle (e.g. use of tobacco), and overall health
The different types of procedures used are:
- In this procedure the bone is cut to correct the angular deformities.
- The bone ends are realigned and allowed to heal.
- Spinal instrumentation and fusion may be combined with an osteotomy to stabilize the spine during healing.
Procedures like laminectomies, decompress the spinal canal and the associated nerves, restoring or preventing the neurologic dysfunction.
Spinal instrumentation & fusion
- These are surgical procedures, which are used to correct the spinal deformity and also to provide permanent stability to the spinal column.
- This procedure helps in joining and solidifying at the level where a spinal element has been damaged or removed.
- Instrumentation which are used in this procedure are medically designed hardware such as rods, bars, wires, and screws. These devices hold the spine straight during fusion.
- Fusion is the adhesive process joining bony spinal elements.
Depending on the type of surgery performed, patient may spend one or more nights in the hospital.
Helpful: Ankylosing spondylitis
Factors Affecting Cost of Spondylosis Treatments
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for
- Room– Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate and room service)
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons, Anesthesist, Physiotherapist, Dietician)
- Physiotherapy session, if advised
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options :
- Type of surgery : Osteotomy, decompression, spinal instrumentation