The split earlobe is a very common occurring problem mostly as a result of wearing heavy earrings for long periods of time. Earlobe repair surgery is a reconstructive cosmetic surgery procedure to restore the appearance of earlobes that have been torn or stretched causing disfiguring for the patient
Reasons for a split in an earlobe
Trauma to the ear due to:
- Wearing excessively heavy earrings for long periods of time, the pierced earlobe gradually gets stretched until it is totally torn through, causing a split earlobe.
- A poor piercing technique, placing it too near the outer border of the ear.
Recommended: Split Earlobe Repair and Post-Op Care
Indications for Split Earlobe Repair Surgery
- Earlobes which are stretched and the piercingis enlarged to a point that it looks unsightly and can no longer support an earring.
- Earlobes which are torn, as a result of overstretching or tearing while wearing earrings.
- Complete medical history including any health problems you have had, ongoing medication, and any allergies you may have.
- You may be advised to stop taking certain medicines such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), aspirin
- Physical examination –the surgeon will examine and also take pictures for medical records.
- The consultant will discuss the benefits and your expectations of the procedure.
- The procedure takes approximately 30-40 minutes per earlobe
- It is an outpatient procedure done under local anaesthesia.
- The surgeon removes the skin on the inside of the split and then stitch the ear back together.
- Fine suture threads are used, support the repair and minimize scaring.
- Bandages are applied on the ear lobes
- Advised not to re-pierce the ear at the same place because scar tissue does not support an earring and it will cut out again.
- You will be able to go home the same day with a small dressing covering the stitches.
- You will experience some discomfort following ear lobe surgery.
- Pain medication are usually prescribed
- Small amounts of antibiotic ointment are applied for a few days ensuring cleanliness to help prevent infection
- Stitches are usually removed within one week, there is fine scar barely visible after healing .
- You will need to let the earlobe fully heal before getting your ear pierced again.
You may be interested in: L-Plasty technique in the repair of split ear lobe
Complications of Split Ear Lobe surgery
Any surgery however minor has some risks, few complications with split earlobe surgery may be:
- Bleeding from the wound
- Infection – this can be a skin infection or infection of the cartilage of the ear
- Haematoma formation
- Irregularities on the surface of the ears, asymmetry of ears
- Risk of scar formation
Factors affecting the cost of Earlobe Repair Surgery
The cost to the patient depends on a variety of factors like
- The hospital patient chooses
- Experience of surgeon
- Cost of Medicines, Standard test and diagnostic procedure.
- Cost of procedure
- Cost of the follow –up care required after the procedure