About Spine Tumor Treatment in India
Spinal tumour is an abnormal mass of tissue within or surrounding the spinal cord and/or spinal column. Surgery is performed to diagnose, stage and treat cancer, and certain cancer-related symptoms.
In the following sections, know about
The types of Spine Tumor Surgery/Treatment
Cost of Spine Tumor Surgery/Treatment
Symptoms,Diagnosis and Medical tests needed for Spine Tumor Treatment
Leading Doctors and Hospitals for Spine Tumor Surgery
Frequently asked questions about Spine Tumor
Need help in organizing medical travel to India?
We have helped patients from 45+ countries
Our Patient Stories
Recommended Doctors For Spine Tumour Surgery View all (53)
Symptoms for Detecting Spine Tumor
Symptoms of spinal tumour depend on the factors such as the size of the tumour, its exact location and which part of the spine is affected. The most common symptoms which patients experiences are:
- Back Pain
- Unusual sensations-these are called as parathesia
- Problems affecting the leg: Worsening numbness, tingling or weakness in the legs can indicate that there is a problem with the spinal cord.
- Bladder or bowel problems :This include incontinence (a loss of control of bowel movements or passing urine), needing to go to the toilet with increased frequency or urgency, or difficulty emptying the bladder or bowel
Medical Test and diagnosis for Spine Tumor
The diagnosis starts with a physical examination and a medical history. The doctor then advises the following test:
- MRI Scan (Magnetic resonance )
- CT Scan (Computerised Tomography )
- Isotope bone scan: This is a test done to check if there is a problem with the bone tissue. It involves a very small amount of a radioactive chemical being injected into a vein. After a delay to allow the chemical to move around the body, pictures are taken using special equipment (a gamma camera). The chemical concentrates in abnormal bone so any problems with the bone tissue can be detected in the pictures.
Treatment Options for Spine Tumor
Goal of the spinal tumour treatment is to eliminate the tumour completely, but this goal may be complicated by the risk of permanent damage to the spinal cord and surrounding nerves. Treatment options include:
- Radiation therapy
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Other drugs
Spine Tumor Surgery
This procedure involves
- Insertion of a catheter or tube through an artery in the groin is done.
- Catheter is directed up through the blood vessels to the site of the tumour, where it delivers a glue-like liquid embolic agent that blocks the vessels which have been feeding the tumour.
- When the blood vessels that feed the tumour are blocked off, bleeding can often be controlled better during surgery, helping to decrease surgical risks.
- The posterior (back) approach allows for the identification of the dura and exposure of the nerve roots.
- Multiple levels can be decompressed, and multilevel segmental fixation can be performed.
- The anterior (front) approach is excellent for tumours in the front of the spine and effectively reconstructing defects caused by removal of the vertebral bodies.
- Patient will have to stay in the hospital for 5-14 days, depending on the case. Complete recovery can take 3- 12 months, depending on the complexity of the surgery & patients overall health.
Know more:- Spine tumour surgery
Factors Affecting the Cost of Spine Tumor Treatment
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service).
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons ,Anesthesist ,Physiotherapist ,Dietician )
- Physiotherapy session ,if advised
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options :
Spinal Tumor Surgery procedure video Duration :-01:33 min