More About Spinal Stenosis Treatment
Symptoms for Spinal Stenosis
Spinal stenosis mostly causes no signs or symptoms. But some people may experience pain, tingling, numbness, muscle weakness, and problems with normal bladder or bowel function. Symptoms can vary depending on the location:
- Neck (cervical spine): It can cause numbness, weakness or tingling in leg, foot, arm or hand.
- Lower back (Lumbar spine):Compressed nerves in your lumbar spine can cause pain or cramping in your legs when you stand for long periods of time or when you walk.
- Sciatica: shooting pains down your leg start as an ache in the lower back or buttocks.
- Foot drop : Painful leg weakness may cause you to “slap” your foot on the ground
Medical Tests For Detecting Spinal Stenosis
A physical examination & medical history of the patient is taken. After which following test are advised:
- MRI(Magnetic Resonance Imaging )
- CT Scan (Computerised tomography )
Treatment Of Spinal Stenosis
Treatment options are both surgical & nonsurgical.
Spinal Stenosis Nonsurgical Treatment
- Medications:Common pain killers are prescribed to get relief from the pain. Other medications include muscle relaxants, anti-seizure.
- Corticosteroid injections: Steroids help in subsiding the inflammation.
- Anaesthetics: This is an injection of nerve block, which can stop the pain for some time.
- Exercise or physical therapy
- Assistance device:Few patients are advised to wear braces, corset or walker. This will assist them in walking.
Spinal Stenosis surgical Treatment
Surgery is considered if the conservative treatments haven't helped or if the patient feels disabled by their symptoms. The main aim of the surgery is to relieve pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots by creating more spaces within the spinal canal. The different procedures performed are as follows:
- Laminectomy: This procedure involves removing the back part of the affected area vertebra. In some cases, the vertebra need to be linked to the adjoining vertebrae with metal hardware and a bone graft (spinal fusion) to maintain the spine's strength.
- Laminotomy:This procedure involves removing only a portion of the lamina, typically carving a hole just big enough to relieve the pressure in a particular spot.
- Laminoplasty: Thisprocedure is performed only on the vertebrae in the neck. It opens up the space within the spinal canal by creating a hinge on the lamina. Metal hardware bridges the gap in the opened section of the spine.
Procedure is performed under general anaesthesia and patient is hospitalized for 1-2 days.
Factors Affecting Cost of Spinal Stenosis Treatment
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate and room service).
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons ,Anesthesist ,Physiotherapist ,Dietician )
- Physiotherapy session ,if advised
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options :
- Assistance device
- Use of metal hardware during surgery
- Type of surgery: Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy
Top Doctors For Spinal Stenosis Treatment in India View all (18)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
13 years of experience , Gurgaon
32 years of experience , New Delhi
16 years of experience , Gurgaon
20 years of experience , New Delhi
Top Hospitals For Spinal Stenosis Treatment in India View all (64)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Multi Specialty | 145 beds | New Delhi
Super Specialty | 300 beds | Gurgaon
Super Specialty | 350 beds | Gurgaon
Multi Specialty | 1000 beds | New Delhi
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Patient Testimonials For Spine Surgery Procedures in India