More About Slip Disc Treatment
Symptoms for Slip Disc
The most common symptoms which are present are:
- Back pain
- Nerve root pain (usually sciatica)
- Other nerve root symptoms
- The irritation or pressure on nerve next to the spine may also cause pins and needles, numbness or weakness in part of a buttock, leg or foot
- Cauda equina syndrome : This syndrome causes low back pain and it also causes
- Problems with bowel and bladder function (usually inability to pass urine).
- Numbness in the saddle area around the back passage (anus).
- Weakness in one or both legs.
Medical Tests For Detecting Slip Disc
The doctor will normally be able to diagnose a 'slipped' (prolapsed) disc from the symptoms and by examining you. In most cases, no tests are needed, as the symptoms often settle within a few weeks. Tests such as X-rays or scans may be advised if symptoms persist. In particular, an MRI scan can show the site and size of a prolapsed disc.
Slip Disc Treatments
The treatment options available are:
- Physical treatment
Slip Disc Surgery
It is recommended only when the other options have not worked. Before the surgery following test are advised:
- CT/CAT Scan
- Electromyogram or nerve conduction studies
There are different types of surgical procedures which are available:
- In this procedure the surgeon makes an opening in the vertebral arch (lamina) to release the pressure on the nerve roots.
- The procedure is performed through a small incision with the aid of a microscope. If necessary, the lamina can be removed. This is called a laminectomy
This is the most common surgery being used for herniated disk in the lumbar region.
- In this procedure, the portion of the disk that is causing the pressure on the nerve root is removed. In some cases, the entire disk is removed.
- The surgeon will gain access into the disk through an incision in the back (or neck).
- Microdiskectomy : Is a new and less invasive procedure
Artificial disk surgery
This procedure is performed under general anaesthesia .It is mostly used for a single disk when the problem is in the lower back.
- In this procedure, the surgeon enters through an incision in your abdomen.
- The damaged disk is replaced with an artificial disk made from plastic and metal. The patient may need to stay in the hospital for a few days.
- General anaesthesia is required for spinal fusion.
- In this procedure, two or more vertebrae are permanently fused together.
- This may be accomplished with bone grafts from another part of your body or from a donor. It may also involve metal or plastic screws and rods designed to provide additional support. This will permanently immobilize that portion of your spine.
Factors Affecting Cost of Slip Disc Surgery
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service).
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons ,Anesthesist ,Physiotherapist ,Dietician )
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options
- The type for surgery patient is going for
Top Doctors For Slip Disc Treatment in India View all (16)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
Top Hospitals For Slip Disc Treatment in India View all (58)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Patient Testimonials For Spine Surgery Procedures in India