Slip Disc Treatment in India
A slipped disc means that one of the discs of cartilage in the spine is damaged and it presses on the nerves.The disc mostly presses on the nerve root which can cause pain and other symptoms in a leg.
In the following sections, know about
Different types of Sugery to treat Slip Disc
Cost of Slip Disc Surgery Treatment
Symptoms,Diagnosis and Medical tests needed to detect and treat Slip Disc
Leading Doctors and Hospitals for Slip Disc Surgery
Frequently asked questions about Slip Disc
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Patient Testimonials For Spine Surgery Procedures in India
Top Doctors For Slip Disc Treatment in India View all (17)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
Top Hospitals For Slip Disc Treatment in India View all (35)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
More About Slip Disc Treatment
Symptoms for Slip Disc
The most common symptoms which are present are:
- Back pain
- Nerve root pain (usually sciatica)
- Other nerve root symptoms
- The irritation or pressure on nerve next to the spine may also cause pins and needles, numbness or weakness in part of a buttock, leg or foot
- Cauda equina syndrome : This syndrome causes low back pain and it also causes
- Problems with bowel and bladder function (usually inability to pass urine).
- Numbness in the saddle area around the back passage (anus).
- Weakness in one or both legs.
Medical Tests For Detecting Slip Disc
The doctor will normally be able to diagnose a 'slipped' (prolapsed) disc from the symptoms and by examining you. In most cases, no tests are needed, as the symptoms often settle within a few weeks. Tests such as X-rays or scans may be advised if symptoms persist. In particular, an MRI scan can show the site and size of a prolapsed disc.
Slip Disc Treatments
The treatment options available are:
- Physical treatment
Slip Disc Surgery
It is recommended only when the other options have not worked. Before the surgery following test are advised:
- CT/CAT Scan
- Electromyogram or nerve conduction studies
There are different types of surgical procedures which are available:
- In this procedure the surgeon makes an opening in the vertebral arch (lamina) to release the pressure on the nerve roots.
- The procedure is performed through a small incision with the aid of a microscope. If necessary, the lamina can be removed. This is called a laminectomy
This is the most common surgery being used for herniated disk in the lumbar region.
- In this procedure, the portion of the disk that is causing the pressure on the nerve root is removed. In some cases, the entire disk is removed.
- The surgeon will gain access into the disk through an incision in the back (or neck).
- Microdiskectomy : Is a new and less invasive procedure
Artificial disk surgery
This procedure is performed under general anaesthesia .It is mostly used for a single disk when the problem is in the lower back.
- In this procedure, the surgeon enters through an incision in your abdomen.
- The damaged disk is replaced with an artificial disk made from plastic and metal. The patient may need to stay in the hospital for a few days.
- General anaesthesia is required for spinal fusion.
- In this procedure, two or more vertebrae are permanently fused together.
- This may be accomplished with bone grafts from another part of your body or from a donor. It may also involve metal or plastic screws and rods designed to provide additional support. This will permanently immobilize that portion of your spine.
Factors Affecting Cost of Slip Disc Surgery
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service).
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons ,Anesthesist ,Physiotherapist ,Dietician )
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options :
- The type for surgery patient is going for
Slip Disc Procedure: 03:12 Min