Root Canal Treatment
Root canal is a treatment used to repair and save a tooth that is badly decayed or becomes infected. During a root canal procedure, the nerve and pulp are removed and the inside of the tooth is cleaned and sealed.
Recommended: Smile designing in India
RCT is required when a patient feels
- Pain on a particular tooth
- There is prolonged sensitivity to heat or cold
- The tooth is tender to touch and chewing
- Discoloration of the tooth
- Swelling, drainage and tenderness in the lymph nodes as well as nearby bone and gum tissues
You may be interested in: Tooth Crown Cost in India
Medical Test for Root Canal Treatment
Following test are performed to confirm the diagnosis
- Thermal (hot & cold) test
- Electric pulp testing
Procedure for Root Canal Treatment
The procedure is performed under local anaesthesia & it takes approximately 45-60 minutes.
Root canal treatment can be performed in one or two visits and it involves the following steps:
- Step 1: An X-ray is performed and the patient is given local anaesthesia.
- Step 2: The dentist makes an opening in the crown portion of the tooth, to gain access in the pulp. Very small instruments are used to clean the pulp from the pulp chamber and root canals and to shape the space for filling.
- Step 3: Once the space is cleaned and shaped, the root canals are filled with a biocompatible material, usually a rubber-like material called gutta-percha. The gutta-percha is placed with an adhesive cement to ensure complete sealing of the root canals.
- Step 4: Mostly a temporary filling is placed to close the opening. The temporary filling will be removed by the dentist before the tooth is restored.
- Step 5: After the permanent filling is done, in the next appointment the dentist will place a crown on the tooth. This is done to protect the tooth & restore its full function.
No hospitalization is required.
Helpful: All About Root Canals
Factors Affecting the Cost of Treatment
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Cost will also vary depending on crown being used