Types of Rhinoplasty
There are two types of Rhinoplasty
Open Rhinoplasty- in this the columella (i.e skin and cartilage bridge in between the nostrils) is also incised, useful in putting the grafts and also helps to visualize nasal cartilage accurately.
Closed Rhinoplasty- the surgeon performs the procedure within the nose and does not cut the bridge in between the nostril.
Recommended: Patient from U.S Got Rhinoplasty Treatment in India
- Obstructed airway- the procedure helps restoring breathing by correcting nasal blockages.
- Cosmetic appearance- Nose being a prominent feature of face can have a big impact on self confidence, so uses of Rhinoplasty is increasingly done for cosmetic purposes like in case removal of dorsal hump, wide nose with rounded tip, nasal asymmetry etc.
- Congenital nose defects and deformities – correction of vascular malformation and cleft lip and cleft palate
- Trauma- burns and nasal fractures
- Nasal Pathologies
You may be interested in: Rhinoplasty in Turkey
Procedure of Rhinoplasty surgery
- During initial visit the physician analyses the functional and cosmetic nasal problem of the patient, External and internal nasal examination is done , photographs of the nose from different angles are taken .
- The physician discusses about your expectations explains about the possibilities that Rhinoplasty can do to help.
- Then complete medical and surgical evaluation is done to declare fit before surgery, you are required to avoid certain medications and also stop smoking before surgery.
- Usually general anaesthesia is given
- In open rhinoplasty incision made inside nostril and below the nose
- Skin lifted and nasal structures exposed
- Cartilage and bone removed and restructured
- The bones are pushed in to narrow the nose
- Occasionally graft is placed for support
- Fine Stitches are used to close the incisions
- Splint placed for protection and support and is removed after a few days
- Scars are usually hidden and fade away.
- Patient is prescribed antibiotics, pain killers, steroids to have an infection free early healing of the cartilage and bone tissues
- Dressing are put in each nostril and splint taped over nose
- Rest is recommended with head raised to reduce swelling and bleeding, nose may feel congested
- There may be slight drainage of mucus and bleeding after surgery
- The cast and sutures removed 5-7 days
- The stents are removed by about 14 days
- The swelling and blackish bluish discoloration around eyes lasts for about 2 weeks
Helpful: Surgical procedure of Rhinoplasty
Complications of Rhinoplasty surgery
It’s a safe surgery yet complications can arise
- Infection leading to absess formation
- Recurring nose bleeds
- Scars that cause airway obstruction and may again require secondary Rhinoplasty
- If too much cartilage is removed change in shape of nasal skin leading to deformity, if cartilage at nasal tip is cut it may cause pinched tip .
- There may be septal perforation, or if nasal septum is unsupported there may be deformity.
- There may be numbness in and around the nose
Click here to know why is Rhinoplasty done
Factors Affecting the Cost of Rhinoplasty
Following are the factors which will affect the cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Room– Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service).
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons, Anesthetist, Dietician )
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Follow up