Prolapsed Disc Treatment and Cost in India
Prolapsed (herniated) disc occurs when the outer fibers of the intervertebral disc are injured, and the soft material known as the nucleus pulposus, rupturesout of its enclosed space. The prolapsed or the ruptured disc material can enter the spinal canal, squeezing the spinal cord, but more frequently the spinal nerves.
In the following sections, know about
The types of Prolapsed Disc Surgery/Treatment
Cost of Prolapsed Disc Surgery/Treatment
Symptoms, Diagnosis and Medical tests needed for Prolapsed Disc Treatment
Leading Doctors and Hospitals for Prolapsed Disc Surgery
Frequently asked questions about Prolapsed Disc
More About Prolapsed Disc Treatment
The prolapses disc most commonly occurs in the lumbar spine (lower back) and cervical spine (neck).
Symptoms for congenital Prolapsed Disc
The location of the symptoms will depends upon which nerve(s) has been affected. The main symptoms of prolapsed disc are:
- Severe cases – people experience loss of bladder control or bowels, numbness in the genital area, and impotence (in men)
- Numbness, pins and needles, or tingling is experienced in one or both arms or legs
- Pain running down one or both arms or legs
- Pain behind the shoulder blade(s) or in the buttock(s)
- Weakness involving one or both arms or legs
Medical Tests for Detecting Prolapsed Disc
Diagnosis starts with patient’s history and a general examination. After which following test are advised:
- CT Scan
- MRI Scan
- CT Myelogram
- A nerve sheath injection with local anesthetic: This test will confirm the nerve causing the symptoms.
Treatment for Prolapsed Disc
Mostly 80 or 90% of disc prolapses settle by themselves and their symptoms almost disappear. Typically this process takes 6-8 weeks, but may take longer. Usually the symptoms can be managed through the use of
- Conservative treatment
- Non-surgical treatments -physical therapy, exercise, rest, activity modification or pain medications.
- Surgery -If chronic neck or back pain persists after weeks or months of conservative treatment then surgery is suggested.
Prolapsed Disc Surgery
Surgery is recommended when,
- Patients symptoms haven't improved using other treatments
- Patient have very severe symptoms, such as progressive muscle weakness, altered bladder or bowel function, or numbness around the genitals or anus
Main aim of the surgery is to cut away the piece of the disc that bulges out to release the pressure on the spinal nerves. This is known as a discectomy and can be carried out in several ways.
1. OPEN DISECTOMY
It is a procedure performed to remove the part of the disc that is pressing the nerve. This is carried under general anesthesia.
- An incision is made over the affected area of the spine, goingdown to the lamina, and the bony arch of the vertebra.
- They'll gently pull the nerve away to expose the prolapsed or bulging disc, and remove just enough to prevent pressure on the nerves.
- In the end the surgeon will close the incision with stitches or surgical staples.
It is known as a minimally invasive discectomy. In this procedure a smaller is made.
Factors Affecting Cost of Prolapsed Disc Treatment
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service).
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons ,Anesthesist ,Physiotherapist ,Dietician )
- Physiotherapy session ,if advised
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options :
- Conservative treatment
- Type of surgery : Open discectomy .Microdiscectomy
Top Doctors For Prolapsed Disc Treatment in India View all (18)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
13 years of experience , Gurgaon
32 years of experience , New Delhi
16 years of experience , Gurgaon
20 years of experience , New Delhi
Top Hospitals For Prolapsed Disc Treatment in India View all (64)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Multi Specialty | 145 beds | New Delhi
Super Specialty | 300 beds | Gurgaon
Super Specialty | 350 beds | Gurgaon
Multi Specialty | 1000 beds | New Delhi
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Patient Testimonials For Spine Surgery Procedures in India