Pituitary Tumor Treatment
Types of Pituitary Tumors
- Pituitary Microadenoma – smaller than 1 cm
- Pituitary Macroadenoma – bigger than 1 cm
- Symptomatic pituitary tumor – these patients visit the physician with presenting symptoms .
- Asymptomatic pituitary tumor are usually found incidentally on imaging and do not require any aggressive treatment except for serial imaging .
- Functional Pituitary tumors – causing abnormal hormone production , these hormones control metabolism , growth , sexual and other bodily functions .
- Non -functional Pituitary tumors – generally diagnosed when they get large in size and press surrounding structures .
Symptoms of Pituitary Tumor
Many a times Pituitary tumors are asymptomatic and seen in scans done for some other disease condition.
Symptoms when present mostly are :
- Hormonal problems due to over or under production of hormones
Symptoms due to Over production of hormones
- Prolactin-excess production stimulates lactation leading to discharge from nipple , oligomenorrhoea or amenorrhoea absence of menses , there may be fertility problems
- Increased growth hormone production leading to Gigantism in kids and Acromegaly in adults
- ACTH producing tumors producing excess cortisol leading to Cushing’s syndrome with weight gain , stretch marks around abdomen , high blood sugar , high blood pressure ,hirsuitism
- Increased TSH –leading to nervousness , irritability, fast heart rate, weight loss , increased sweating
Symptoms due to under production of hormones
- Less production of growth hormone –causes late growth in children , poor strength of bones and muscles
- Low TSH causes fatigue, lethargy , cold extremities ,weight gain There may be lack of energy , general low feeling
- Changes in vision or Visual loss- when the tumor grows upwards and presses optic nerves , there will be visual changes , patient will be able to see central and not peripheral , or double vision etc
Tests and Diagnosis for Pituitary Tumor
Many a times asymptomatic and only seen on imaging
Occasionally Pituitary tumors are diagnosed when the patient presents with symptoms which make the physician suspect and refer for :
- Complete medical history and physical examination , visual field study when tumor pressing on optic nerve
- Blood tests to Check for hormone levels.
- Imaging tests –X rays, MRI scans to check the extent the tumor has grown, CT scans
Treatment for Pituitary Tumor
Pituitary tumors are usually curable, mostly these are benign tumors so no metastasis
Treatment plan selected jointly by team of neurosurgeon, endocrinologist, physician, oncologist in consultation with patient.
Treatment goal is providing relief of presenting symptoms
- Few cases require only monitoring and regular endocrine screening,
- Few cases can be treated by medication only,
- Few may require surgery, radiation, chaemotherapy or a combination of the above.
Surgery when required can be:
- Traditional surgery (craniotomy) – cutting open the skull, lifting the brain and taking out the tumor, surgery requires hospitalization for about 2 weeks and long recovery period. The risks are high in this type of surgery and is usually avoided.
- Trans sphenoid surgery approach – endoscopic surgery performed with the help of fibro optic scope introduced through the nose and sphenoid sinus into the brain, tumor broken and scooped out through suction. This procedure is usually performed as is less risky and has faster recovery with only 2 days hospitalization required.
After care or Follow up Treatment :
Blood tests and hormone markers as well as MRI scans are done few days after surgery to check whether the treatment was successful. Screening of the cases need to be maintained after surgery at regular intervals to evaluate and modify the treatment plan.
Factors Affecting the Cost Pituitary Macro Adenoma Treatment
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate and room service).
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons ,Anesthesist ,Physiotherapist ,Dietician )
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options :
- Radiation therapy
Top Doctors For Pituitary Tumor Treatment Treatment in India View all (71)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
Top Hospitals For Pituitary Tumor Treatment Treatment in India View all (76)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Videos Related to Pituitary Tumor Treatment In India
Dr. Arun Saroha Talks about Pituitary Tumor and Its Various Advanced Treatment Procedures
Pituitary Gland Tumor Surgery
Patient Testimonials For Neurology And Neurosurgery Procedures in India