The actual length of the erect penile state is of concern to most men around the world. If one had the choice to elongate the erect state most people would go for that. The penis is in two states at any given time, the flaccid and the erect. When the penis is in a soft form at rest it is called the flaccid state. While the penis is at erect it is stated as excited/erect or in a firm form. At the time of erection, usually, the penis is five-six inches in length. Moreover, it is observed that the ambit or expansion at that time is around 4 ¼ to 5 ¼ inches.
Normal Penile length
Accurate measurement of penile length is critical for both clinical and academic purposes. However, to maintain uniformity, measurement methods need to be standardized. In this regard, the set practice is to measure Stretched Penile Length (SPL) which is considered as the best approach for adult men. Measurement of a flaccid penis is clinically of no significance while SPL measurement almost replicates the length of a normal erect penis approximately up to 10%. The SPL measurement, mostly taken by clinicians for accuracy, begins at the base under the pubic symphysis and continues up to the tip of the glans. Studies have revealed that men who find their penile length satisfactory overestimate the size of their penis while men who are not satisfied usually underestimate.
Advantages of Penile Enhancement Surgery
The main advantage of cosmetic penis lengthening surgery is more of a psychological. Most men think they have a small penis and are convinced that a bigger penis will make them more masculine or a better lover. For them, this surgery could result in a boost in self-esteem. Penile implant surgery can be highly beneficial for some men. In case of Erectile Dysfunction (ED), this surgery can restore normal functioning. It can also benefit men with Peyronies Disease (PD) to a large extent. As they are able to achieve an erection, they feel better both physically and psychologically. Men with these problems have lower satisfaction rates and this surgery can help them. In fact, the implants are one of the most invasive treatments for ED and result in nearly 75% satisfaction rate which is quite high.
General anesthesia is used for the surgery. The internal part of the penis has to be released. For this, the ligament that holds the internal part of the penis in place is divided which releases it. In addition to this, a muscle technique is also used that ensures the long-term effectiveness of the penile length procedure. Liposuction above the penis will be recommended if this area is masking the full length of the penile shaft.
Penile flaccid lengthening can be achieved by several methods. There are stretching devices used for erect length gains and also in flaccid length gains.
- Suspensory ligament cutting is another surgical procedure with a small flaccid lengthening.
- This Suspensory ligament cutting method may alter or not for erect penile lengthening. This procedure will allow the penis to drop downwards to a more normal angle. Another potential use for such a treatment is to increase the flaccid length of the penile shaft.
- Penile shaft surgical detachment from the pubic bone and moved forward or advanced to lengthen the erect penis might work and can be a high-risk surgery which is not recommended.
- The platinum method will increase both the penile shaft girth and also the flaccid length. This method may have minimal invasive filler treatment with an increase of ½ to 1 inch of flaccid length. This increase will be observed after each filler treatment.
- Implantable silicone rubber having a pen shape can be inserted under the penile skin resulting in the penis staying long. However, it will not be able to contract, and in the flaccid condition, extend out almost similar to the erect penis in length.
- Another method is the surgical detachment of the Glans or the head of the penis followed by its relocation. This kind of surgery may increase the penile length. However, it is a very complicated and risky surgery that may even cause Glans instability. This may result in painful intercourse with the Glans being traumatized.
Either total or partial penile transplantation will be performed, and the surgical procedure involves several risks. The patient may also be given medications to suppress the immune system which poses additional risks. Penile lengthening may be suggested a range from manual exercises to surgical. At present, there are no consensuses in the scientific community regarding which non-surgical technique can permanently increase either the thickness or length of the erect penis that normally falls in the range of 4 to 6 inches.
The surgical alteration of the penis, involves a change in the length and width or girth of the shaft. These alterations may never make to the head of the penis.
Most of the surgical alterations that occur are cosmetic and are not associated with the biological mechanisms of how the penis works.
Each of these procedures may be done separately or at the same time, depending on the body type of the patient and the goals that need to be achieved.
Most penile enhancement surgical methods are performed as outpatient procedures. All these procedures will be performed either under local anesthesia or general anesthesia.
- After the surgery, you will be able to control any pain with medication and most men don’t require it any longer by the 5th day following surgery. Follow up post-surgery is necessary to prevent complications and to ensure the required outcome.
- Results are dependent upon the size of the penis. A larger penis means a larger result
- Soreness in the groin area for about 10 days following the procedure.
- The scrotum may experience little bruising and swelling that can last up to 2 or 3 weeks.
- Most patients might be able to return to nonstrenuous activities after 2-3 days, week after a week and regular activities after a month.
- Sexual activity can be resumed after 4 weeks of surgery.
- Loss of sensation is extremely rare. Sometimes the angle of erection may change. After surgery, many times an erection may alter and become nearly horizontal.
- The patient should contact the surgeon immediately if there are any signs of infection or bleeding is experienced or there is a sudden increase in pain.
Risks involved in Penile Lengthening surgery
The potential risks of penile lengthening may include erosion and other such complications. Like most surgical methods, there is always a possibility of complications and these can include:
- Anesthesia may cause retention of blood or fluid underneath the skin. The penis may appear irregular or lop-sided after the surgery. .
- Most notably with the enlargement procedure lumps may occur due to the position of the fat.
- Reduced sensitivity, difficulty in getting an erection and nerve damage. Scar formation might leave the patient with a penis that is shorter. The other side effects can be unsightly - a lumpy, bumpy, uneven penis.
Factors Affecting Cost of Penile Lengthening surgery
- The fee for the hospital
- Consultation charges
- Accommodation costs
- Travel expenses etc.