Lip Augmentation is process that helps people to get full lips. People having thin lips can particularly take advantage of lip enhancement. This helps to enhance the beauty of one's face. Lips are plumped up by lip augmentation with lip implants or dermal fillers. A lip augmentation procedure is easy. It also takes less time to recover after the whole course of action is made.
The best candidates for Lip Augmentation:
A person should be in good health to go for lip augmentation and they mustn't be chosen if they have following ailments.
- Cold sores
- Certain dreadful diseases
- Diabetes or lupus
- Any wounding of the lips
Causes for Lip Augmentation:
- People who have natural thin lips or an age-related decrease in lip volume.
- If somebody wants to improve the appearance of the lips.
- Plumping one's pucker often improves self-confidence and sexual confidence.
Tests for Lip Augmentation:
- Allergy test
- Fasting blood sugar test
- Postprandial glucose test
- Urine test
Types of Lip Augmentation
- Lip Enhancement Using Injectable Materials- Depending on the type used, effects of various modes of fillers used for lip augmentation, may last from a few weeks to a few months. The doctor is the right person to choose the one that is most suited for a person's needs. The risk is less in case of using injectable materials. There are also less chances of uneasiness or side effects. The whole process can go on to a few minutes, while recovery generally requires a day or two. Basically, there are two types of fillers.
- Collagen Centered Fillers- Collagen centered fillers are classified into two categories depending upon those originated from humans, and animals (mostly cows).
Human Originated Collagen Filler- The collagen for these fillers is originated from cadavers. This is the course of action for those who are allergic to the bovine fillers. As these fillers are originated from humans, one need not go for any allergy test prior to the procedure.
Bovine Originated Collagen Filler-This is originated from cows that are grown in a disease free environment. As it is not originated from humans, people opting for this filler have to go through an allergy test before the procedure to avoid any problems. This filler gives long-term results.
- Acid Centered Fillers- Acid centered fillers have Hyaluronic acid. One's skin and joints have this acid, which is pure and biodegradable acid. It has no harmful effects. This acid blends with water in the molecules in the lips, making them fleshy and offers natural moisture. This filler stays fresh longer than the collagen fillers. Acid centered filler doesn't also require any allergy test to be performed before the procedure.
- Surgical Method- This method requires general or local anesthesia, and is carried out by making cuts on the outline of the lips. The cuts are small, and are generally enclosed by the red skin of lips. Once a cut is made, a cavity is to be formed to put in the implant, and after the implant is in, this is threaded into the lip. After that, it is trimmed to the right size, and then the cuts are sewn up. Materials used in surgical implants are divided into two types. They are-
Human tissue based- They are made from human skin or tissues. They have to pass precise FDA standards of consumer safety. Results are permanent and generally better than those achieved by other methods. All together, the risks associated with surgical methods are higher than with risks associated with the filler or fat transfer method. There may be instances of infection, stiffness, and scarring of the lips, implant rejection, migration, etc.
Polymer based-This implant is created from a medical version of the material that is used for making raincoats, and tents. This is a little inelastic and has pores for the natural growth of the tissues.When the tissue grows back the polymer becomes a part of the lip construction.
- Fat Transfer- This is the most low-risk category of lip augmentation process. The process involves the removal of fat from some other part of one's body and then injected into the lips.The look of the lips after this procedure is very natural and flexible. As the fat is from the patient's body, risks associated with this type are the least. This process requires a few minutes and the recovery time is a few hours. No hospitalization is required for this process.
Before the Procedure
- If person is having cold sores or certain diseases such as diabetes or lupus, or someone with a blood clotting problem should not go for lip augmentation. Once proper medication is adopted to cure these diseases, one may ask the doctor whether to go for it or not.
- Medications that may lead to bruising such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, or any of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory painkillers must be avoided.
During the Procedure
- Techniques of injectable lip augmentation can be performed quickly with little to no downtime.
- The procedure requires a small area of liposuction to remove the fat from another part of one's body before the injection can come to pass.
- A topical or local numbing agent may be used before the injections. This will help to make the patient comfortable.
- Nerve block injections may be used before the treatment to completely numb the lips.
- It is akin to the anesthetic injections that one gets at the dentist to numb the mouth.
- Once marking the areas to be injected is done, very fine needles are used to inject the substance into the lips.
- Swelling of the area and discomfort may be eased by applying Ice Packs.
- The treatment area must be kept at ease and firm pressure may not be put on it.
After the Procedure
- Ice is to be put on the area five times a day, 15-20 minutes on, 15-20 minutes off for the first few days after the injections.
- Ice helps with the swelling and relieve any discomfort.
- One should stay away from alcohol for 24 hours after the lip injections.
- Alcohol causes the blood vessels to dilate and create bruising around the mouth.
- One should not wear lipstick right after the procedure.
- It is better to wait until the swelling has gone down.
- It is advised to avoid straws because the lips will be swollen and the suction needed to use a straw may prove to be awkward.
- After the swelling has subsided, one can use all the straws one wants.
- It is advised to stay out of saunas and hot showers for the first 24 hours after lip injections so that the blood vessels don’t dilate.
- One must avoid exercising or other strenuous activities for a full day after the injections. Sweating can raise blood pressure and elongate the swelling of the lips.
- A few people feel bruising or pain around the injection site. It would sag in a few days.
Complications of hyaluronic acid fillers are temporary and should only last a couple of days. They are-
- Bleeding from the injection locations
- Bruising and swelling
- Repetition of cold sores or fever blisters of the lips
- Redness and tenderness may occur at the location of the injection
- Stern and delayed swelling or bruising lasting 7 to 10 days
- Lip unevenness
- Lumps in the lips
- Injection may cause tissue loss
- Scarring, ulceration or stiffening of the lip
Factors affecting the Cost of Treatment
There are many factors that affect the cost of treatment. like:
- Type of procedure opted
- Experience of the doctor
- Where one lives
- Fillers are generally priced as per syringe injected
- The cost also depends on how much material is required
Top Doctors For Lip Augmentation Treatment in India View all (34)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
Top Hospitals For Lip Augmentation Treatment in India View all (70)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Single Specialty | New Delhi
Multi Specialty | Chennai
Single Specialty | Gurgaon
Multi Specialty | Gurgaon