More About Erectile Dysfunction
The limitation of holding an erection for a longer duration during an intercourse (sex) is known as an erectile dysfunction.Frequent erectile dysfunction may not be a matter of concern but if the nature is repetitive then it might be stressful, lower the self-esteem and may hamper relationships.This can also hint that there is a health problem that needs care and treatment or it could also mean that there is underlying heart risk.
Holding open talks with a urologist about the condition can certainly ease you off. At times, a minor treatment can actually sort out the problem of erectile dysfunction.Certain medications or other type of therapies can treat erectile dysfunction.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile Dysfunction also commonly known as impotence is a physical condition in which the penis of a man doesn’t stiffen enough to penetrate the vagina of a woman and have sexual intercourse. In this condition there are two possibilities that either the penis wouldn’t erect at all or even if erect, the erection isn’t maintained for a long duration. It should be noted that there is no coincidence or similarity between erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Below are the determining factors of erectile dysfunction:
- Vascular diseases: The penis erects and holds the erection when blood gets collected in the shaft of the penis. If someone is suffering from any vascular disease, then it is obvious that the blood flow into the penis will be limited and that shall impact erection drastically.
- Damage in the nerves: It is ultimately the nerves that arouse the urge to have sex and if they are somehow damaged then it is natural that it will be difficult for a man to obtain an erection. Furthermore, nerves can be incapacitated due to a lot of factors such as chronic disease like diabetes, multiple sclerosis, a result of a surgery in the prostrate or any damage caused to the spinal cord
- Psychological factors: Depression, anxiety, a guilty conscience or any kind of fear can certainly elevate the problems pertaining to erectile functioning. However, it is proven that in majority of the cases, it is some kind of physical problem that causes erectile dysfunction
- Medicines: Certain medicines that are used to treat disease such as high blood pressure, depression, cardio diseases and prostate cancer may interfere with the natural ability of having an erection
- Problems related to hormones: Abnormality in certain harmonic levels can also cause hindrance in having erection. Men with low testosterone levels are more prone to erectile dysfunction
Impotence could be a sudden or a gradual process. The symptoms of erectile dysfunction can be following:
- Inability in getting an erection
- Reduction in the ability to maintaining an erection
- Reduction in the desire of having sex
- Early or late ejaculation
A physical examination followed by a question and answer round is all required for a doctor to diagnose the problem of erectile dysfunction and recommend a suitable treatment. If there are other possible health conditions involved, the doctor might recommend some other tests as well. The following tests can be conducted to determine the possibility of any other health conditions:
- A physical examination of the penis and the testicles to check for the sensation
- Blood test to check the possibility of any other health related problems and also to determine the testosterone levels
- Urine test can be conducted to know the possibility of diabetes
- Ultrasound to check if the blood flow is normal in the penis or not
- Questioning to check if there are any signs of depression or anxiety
It is possible to treat Erectile Dysfunction. Contingent upon the reason and seriousness of your erectile dysfunction and any fundamental health conditions, the doctor may suggest different treatment alternatives. Your specialist can clarify the risks and advantages of every treatment and will help you to make the right choice. Your partner's choices additionally may assume a part in your treatment decisions.
Medicines can go a long way in treating erectile dysfunction in men. Drugs like Sildenafil (Viagra), Tadalafil (Adcirca, Cialis), Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn), and Avanafil (Stendra) upgrade the impacts of nitric oxide — a characteristic compound the body delivers that relaxes the muscles in the penis andthis further enables blood to flow into the penis and enables to get an erection because of sexual stimulation. The dosage of the above mentioned medicines may vary from person to person.There could also be factors determining their efficacy and any side effects. The most common side effects may include nasal congestion, headache, visual impairments, backache and stomach upset.
The doctor after pondering over your situation will prescribe the medicine that will be best suited for you. Point should be noted that these medicines might not give you an instant response.Consulting with the doctor will offer you right medicinal approach along with the dosage. It is advisable that before opting for any medicine, get confirmation from your doctor.It is not necessary that all the above listed medicines will certainly work for you. There also may be chances that the effects of the medicines might be less in certain conditions, such as if someone has undergone a prostate surgery or if the person has diabetes. And then there are some conditions in which taking these medicines may be fatal:
- If you are taking nitrate drugs for treating chest pains such as Nitroglycerin (Minitran, Nitro-Dur, Nitrostat, Others), Isosorbide Mononitrate (Monoket) And Isosorbide Dinitrate (Dilatrate-SR, Isordil)
- Have a cardio disease
- Suffering from hypotension (low blood pressure)
Other Therapeutical Medications
Other medications for erectile dysfunction include:
- Alprostadil self-injection: A fine needle is used to infuse alprostadil (Caverject Impulse, Edex) into the base or side of your penis. Self-injections incorporate papaverine, alprostadil and phentolamine. Frequently these blends are known as bimix (if two drugs are injected) or trimix (if three are injected). Each injection is dosed to create an erection lasting for an hour. Because the needle used is very fine, pain from the injection site is usually minor. However, there are certain side effects too. They can include mild bleeding, prolonged erection (priapism) and in some cases there is a formation of a fibrous tissue at the point of injection.
- Alprostadil urethral suppository: In this therapy, a tiny alprostadil suppository is created inside the penis in the penile urethra. A special applicator is used to insert the suppository into the penile urethra. After the insertion, the erection usually starts within 10 minutes and, when it attains its full effect, it lasts between 30 to 60 minutes. There are side effects too which includes pain, minor bleeding in the urethra and formation of fibrous tissue inside your penis.
- Testosterone replacement: As mentioned earlier that low testosterone levels contributes to erectile dysfunction, a testosterone replacement therapy can be advised to higher the levels of this hormone that can eventually overcome erectile dysfunction.
Penis Pumps, Surgery and Implants
It is not assured that medications and other therapies will certainly work for you. Depending upon the situation and the result driven from previous treatments, the doctor can recommend other procedures too like the following:
- Penis pumps: A vacuum erection device, the penis pump is a hollow tube that has a hand-powered or battery-powered pump attached to it. Once the tube is placed over the penis, air is sucked out with force and that creates a vacuum that sucks blood into the penis
- Penile implants: Another solution to treat erectile dysfunction is penile implant. In implants, devices are placed on both sides of the penis that allows the penis to erect while maintaining its flexibility too. It is taken as the last resort after all other medications have been tried and tested as there is a risk of contracting infections
Moderate to aggressive aerobic exercises can prove beneficial in erectile dysfunction. However men suffering from heart conditions and other health conditions should take some precautions. People with health abnormalities should opt for less strenuous physical activities. Make sure to interact with your doctor before exercising.
There is a high possibility that erectile dysfunction may aggravate stress, anxiety or depression and this might bear an impact on the relationship as well.In such cases it is obvious that the doctor might suggest a psychologist or counsellor.
Impact of Lifestyle and Certain Home Based Remedies
Lifestyle also plays a critical role in erectile dysfunction. Try to avoid the following:
- Quit smoking
- Shed those extra kilos
- Include a lot of physical activities in your life
- Rehabilitate yourself to fight drugs and alcoholism
- Sort out any relationship issues with ease and calmness
Cost of Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction
The following are the primary factors that determine the cost involved in treating Erectile Dysfunction
- Hospital that patient chooses for his/her treatment (if required)
- Fees for the doctor/physician
- Cost of surgical procedures (if required)
- Cost of medicines
- Cost of tests and diagnostic procedures
Top Doctors For Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Treatment in India View all (61)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
39 years of experience , New Delhi
43 years of experience , New Delhi
45 years of experience , Chennai
21 years of experience , Gurgaon
Top Hospitals For Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Treatment in India View all (75)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Multi Specialty | 1000 beds | New Delhi
Super Specialty | 1250 beds | Gurgaon
Multi Specialty | 750 beds | Mumbai
Super Specialty | Chennai
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Patient Testimonials For Urology Treatment Procedures in India