Disc Herniation Treatment in India
Herniated disk refers to a problem with one of the rubbery cushions (disks) between the individual bones (vertebrae) that pile up to make the spine. The discs are pads that serve as "cushions" between the vertebral bodies, minimizing the impact of movement on the spinal column.
The abnormal rupture of the central portion of the disc is referred as disc herniation. The most common location for a herniated disc is at the level between the fourth and fifth lumbar vertebrae in the low back.
In the following sections, know about
The types of Disc Herniation Surgery/Treatment
Cost of Disc Herniation Surgery/Treatment
Symptoms,Diagnosis and Medical tests needed for Disc Herniation Treatment
Leading Doctors and Hospitals for Disc Herniation Surgery
Frequently asked questions about Disc Herniation
Treatments and Cost Related to Disc Herniation
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Videos Related to Disc Herniation In India
Roland Murphy from Liberia Talks About His Successful Spine Decompression Surgery in India
Patient Testimonials For Spine Surgery Procedures in India
Top Doctors For Disc Herniation Treatment in India View all (17)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
Top Hospitals For Disc Herniation Treatment in India View all (51)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
More About Herniated Disc Treatment
Symptoms for Disc Herniation
Mostly herniated disks occur in the lower back (lumbar spine), but they can also occur in the neck (cervical spine). The most common signs and symptoms of a herniated disk are:
- Pain in the arm or leg
- Numbness or tingling in the body
Medical Tests For Detecting Disc Herniation
Doctor starts with a physical examination, in which he will check for any tenderness in the back .After which following test are suggested:
- Imaging test
- Computerised tomography(CT Scan)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Nerve test
- Nerve conduction
Medical Treatment For Disc Herniation
Treatment options for Herniated Disc are as follows:
- Conservative treatment: This mostly includes avoiding the painful positions and following a planned exercise and pain-medication regime. This provides mostly relieves in symptoms in within a few days or weeks.
- Medications:If the pain is mild to moderate then over the counter pain medications will provide relief. If the patients doesn’t get any relief, then the patient is prescribed Narcotics, anti-consultants, muscle relaxants, cortisone injections.
- Therapy:If the patient’s pain has not resolved within 3-4 weeks, the doctor may suggest physical therapy.
- Surgery: A very small number of people with herniated disks eventually needs surgery. It is recommended when a patient feels
- Numbness or weakness
- Difficulty standing or walking
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
Surgical procedure For Disc Herniation
There are a variety of surgical approaches to treat disc herniation. Each type of operation is customized to the individual situation and it also depends a on the condition of the spine around the disc affected.
Diskectomy: In this procedure the surgeon removes the damaged disk to relieve pressure on the nerves. It is performed in a couple of ways:
- Open discectomy: This is performed via a cut in the back or neck.
- Microdiscectomy: This is performed through a much smaller incision. The surgeon inserts a thin tube with a camera on one end to see and remove the damaged disk.
Lumbar Laminotomy:Surgeon needs to remove a small piece of bone called the lamina from the vertebra. Lamina forms a protective cover over the spinal cord. Removing part or all provides the surgeon an easy access to the herniated disk
Artificial Disk Surgery:Very few people are good candidates for artificial disk surgery .This is because it only works on certain disks in the lower back. If the doctor thinks that this is an option,then he will replace the damaged disk with one made of plastic or metal. The new disk will help keep the spine stable an let the patient move more easily.
Factors Affecting Cost of Disc Herniation Treatment
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service).
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons ,Anesthesist ,Physiotherapist ,Dietician )
- Physiotherapy session ,if advised
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options :
- Type of surgery : Diskectomy, Lumbar Laminectomy ,Artificial disc surgery
Disc Herniation Procedure: 03.12 Min