Types of Bilateral knee replacement
- Simultaneous bilateral knee replacement -When both the knees are replaced at same time in one surgery its known as simultaneous bilateral knee replacement ,
- Staged bilateral knee replacement - in this both knees are replaced at different time interval it is called staged bilateral knee replacement.
Diagnostic conditions for Knee replacement surgery
Most common cause of knee pain is arthritis
- Osteoarthritis – due to normal wear and tear , the cartilage wears away causing the bones to rub against each other , causing stiffness and knee pain.Bone spurs are common in osteoarthritis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis –is an auto immune disease condition , wherein chronic inflammation leads to cartilage loss , pain and stiffness.
- Traumatic arthritis – usually follows a serious knee injury .
- Deformities –people with bow legs or knock knees
Tests before Knee Replacement Surgery
- Medical history present and past – to know about the extent and duration of knee pain , past injury , surgeries performed if any
- Physical examination done to understand the motion , stability of the joint
- X rays and MRI to determine the extent of damage , condition of bones and soft tissue .
Procedure of knee Replacement surgery
- Preoperative evaluation to declare you fit for surgery which includes present past medical history, complete blood count, urine analysis, clotting factor testing, ECG
- X-ray and MRI scans to understand the knee condition and choose treatment option.
- The doctor will also check your regular medication and even stop few medications before surgery.
- Its also recommended to start muscles strengthening exercises before surgery as people who strengthen their muscles around the knee have a faster easier recovery.
- Usually knee replacement performed under spinal / epidural anaesthesia.
- The surgeon makes an incision down the centre of knee and cuts the deep tissue to gain access to bone and resurfaces the bones and attaches the implant .If required the patella too is resurfaced and a spacer inserted.
- The leg is flexed and extended to test the fit of implant and the range of motion.
- Any deep tissue that was cut is repaired and incision stitched.
- You will be kept under observation , vitals will be monitored on a regular basis
- Your knee will be bandaged , a drain placed to remove fluid , you also may have a catheter, to improve circulation and to avoid clots after surgery you may be wearing compression bandage
- You also will be administered IV antiobiotics and painkillers.
- You will be walking the day after surgery with help of walker
- A physiotherapist will help you do specific exercises for your knee joint , you should be able to resume normal daily activities with few days.
Factors Affecting Cost Of Bilateral Knee Replacement Surgery
The cost to the patient depends on a variety of factors like
- The hospital, the patient chooses.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate and room service).
- Fee for the team of doctors and OT charges
- cost of Implant and medications
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures.
- Cost of the follow –up care required after the procedure
- Physiotherapist cost
Complications of knee replacement surgery
Though the procedure is safe and commonly performed but as with any procedure complications may occur
- Blood clots
- Incomplete relief of pain , stiffness and instability
- The replaced knee joint may become loose or dislodged
- Nerves or blood vessel in area of surgery may be damaged leading to numbness