64 Slice CT Angiography is a non-invasive heart imaging technology. CT angiography provides a complete examination of the heart and coronary arteries.
The Coronary CT angiogram defines plaque within the coronary arteries, also calculates ejection fraction. In most cases, CT angiography is utilized instead of heart catheterisation.
Indications for performing 64 slice CT angiography
- Screening in high risk group patients those having hypertension , high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity.
- Identify the cause of acute chest pain
- Exclude life threatening coronary artery disease
- Diagnose plague at the earliest
- Do not consume caffeine 12 hours prior
- Do not eat any food 4 hours prior to the procedure
- Continue to take all your prescribed medication as normal unless restricted by the doctor
- Kidney function test are performed
- Medicines are given to slow the heart rate
- IV line placed for contrast
During the procedure
- The whole examination takes about 20- 30 minutes
- You will be injected with a contrast agent to highlight coronary arteries on the scan.
- You will have a 3-lead EKG attached to monitor your heart rate.
- The physician supervising the scan may decide to give you an intravenous beta blocker which temporarily slows your heart beat down helping to achieve a good quality scan
- You will be positioned on the scanning table which is then moved in and out of the scanner , you will hear clicking buzzing sounds as the scanner moves around your body , it is important to lie still so that the scanner can take the best possible images
- Nobody will be in the room with you during the scan itself but the technologist operating the scanner can both see and hear you throughout the procedure
- You can eat and drink as normal following your examination
- The scan will be evaluated and reported on by a specialist Radiologist or Cardiologist
- The images are reviewed and processed so they can be analysed three dimensionally using specialized software.
Risk of the procedure
64 slice CT angiography generally is a low risk procedure but
- some may develop itching or rash as a result of adverse reaction to contrast dye which is self limiting or anti histaminic can be administered to control
- There is exposure to radiation as CT scanners use X ray for imaging .
Factors Affecting the Cost of 64 slice CT angiography
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for
- Cost of test
- Fee for the doctors (Cardiologists, radiologist )
- Standard tests before procedures