- In order to discuss the reduction of prices of stents, the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority invited all the stakeholders at a 3 day summit in New Delhi.
- Starting from 4th January 2017, the summit will continue till 6th January 2017.
- Stents are used to provide relief to patients who suffer from coronary artery blockages.
- The basic metal stents cost Rs. 8000 and are not used in most of the cases.
- The more advanced and widely used drug eluting stents cost between Rs. 20,000 and Rs. 1.60 lakh.
- Bio-absorbable scaffolds, the newest innovation and entrant in the stent market does not cost less than Rs. 1.90 lakh.
- Representatives of medical devices producing companies, representatives from the commerce section of the medical devices sector, hospitals and nursing homes, reputed cardiologists, medical device distributors and NGOs are requested to provide their valuable suggestions in the meeting.
Source: The Hindu