- A 2 year 11 months old boy, Amam Jawad Uddin, from Bangladesh suffered from severe liver failure.
- He was diagnosed with jaundice that worsened over time resulting in vomitting and irritability.
- In a hospital in Dhaka he was further diagnosed with Hepatitis A.
- Coagulopathy led him to a state of coma and a liver transplant was recommended.
- His mother being the donor an emergency liver transplant was performed at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital to save him from cerebral edema.
- Five days after the success of the liver transplant his condition of the braiin developed and the child started speaking again.
- According to Dr. Anupam Sibal the patient was already in stage three Hepatic Encephalopathy.
- His liver was not able to remove the toxins in his body that worsened his brain function.
- Although the transplant proved to be extremely risky because of the progressive deterioration of the patient's condition and his age, he has recovered well and was discharged within three weeks.
Source: Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Media Update