Need help in organizing medical travel to India?
We have helped patients from 45+ countries
Recommended Doctors For Thalassemia Transplant View all (8)
Bone marrow or stem cell transplant
Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder that causes the body to make less haemoglobin or abnormal haemoglobin.
Stem Cell or Bone Marrow Transplant
Stem cell transplant, or bone marrow transplant, is a treatment performed to replace damaged stem cells with healthy ones. For a transplant, stem cells from a healthy donor are given through a drip into a vein. These cells then start to produce healthy red blood cells to replace the cells affected by thalassaemia.
A stem cell or bone marrow transplant involves five main stages.
These stages are:
- Tests and examinations – to assess the general level of health.
- Harvesting – the process of obtaining the stem cells to be used in the transplant, either from the patient or donor.
- Conditioning – treatment to prepare the body for the transplant.
- Transplanting the stem cells.
- Recovery – Patient needs to stay in the hospital for at least a few weeks until the transplant starts to take effect.
Patient can leave the hospital between one and three months after the transplant.